[News] New Ubuntu Users Highly Impressed with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] New Ubuntu Users Highly Impressed with GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:05:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu 7.10 is great!

,----[ Quote ]
| I finally got around to free up some space to install Linux, and am I glad!
| Ubuntu 7.10 is great! Fast, simple, elegant, intuitive. I had no* hardware
| issues (*I have not tested if my webcam will work yet…) Ubuntu comese
| with “Restricted Drivers Manager” which started up after installation and
| asked me if I want to use NVIDIA’s proprietary drivers instead of open source
| once with full hardware acceleration, sweet! All my windows drives are
| recognized without any command line tweaking and mounting, double sweet...
`----

http://www.nowisimon.com/archives/99

5 reasons why Linux totally Pwnz Windows! (Pt.1)

,----[ Quote ]
| Then my friend, you have not seen Compiz Fusion in action. Just watch the
| video below, and if your jaw doesn't hit the floor, then I dunno what would
| surprise you... Compiz Fusion's effects are simply amazing. The effects are
| not just for eye-candy. There are actually some use to them. One simple
| example that I often use myself is the transparency. When I need to refer to
| one window, and type in another, I put the typing one as "always on top" and
| make it semi-transparent. Then place my reference window just below. Then, I
| can "see through" my typing window, without the need to constantly switch
| between windows.
`----

http://infinity-sama.blogspot.com/2008/02/5-reasons-why-linux-totally-pwnz.html

Nice video. It makes Vista looks very rusty.

Related:

10 Reasons why Linux is better

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is not under a single banner. There are hundreds of Linux distributions
| available, either commercial or free. Hence, it ensures that there is no
| monopoly and that the support as well as the package is as good as it gets.
`----

http://thelinuxblog.freehostia.com/blog/2007/11/10/10-reasons-why-linux-is-better/

25 Reasons to Convert to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Businesses, educational institutions, governmental agencies and other
| organizations around the world are converting1 their computer operating
| systems from Microsoft Windows to Linux at an increasing pace. They are
| likewise converting their application programs from commercial software to
| free software (also referred to as open source software). There are at least
| 25 reasons for this situation, including...
`----

http://ubuntu704.blogspot.com/2007/10/25-reasons-to-convert-to-linux.html

25 reasons to switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]