[News] Review of PCLinuxOS 2007 (and MiniMe), an Early Look at KDE 4.1

  • Subject: [News] Review of PCLinuxOS 2007 (and MiniMe), an Early Look at KDE 4.1
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:52:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Review: PCLinuxOS 2007, GNOME and MiniMe

,----[ Quote ]
| Once you get PCLinuxOS up and running, it's a modern, fairly snappy KDE-based
| Linux installation. It's not loaded down with redundant applications, nor is
| it bare-bones. It's right in the same sweet spot as Ubuntu as far as default
| applications go. And there are some 7,000 packages in the repositories. I
| might be wrong, but that seems to be about equal with Ubuntu. Debian has some
| 20,000, but it's not like PCLinuxOS is lacking packages in any way, shape or
| form.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2008/02/review_pclinuxos_2007_gnome_an.html

KDE 4.1: Visual Changelog (KDE 4.1: Visual Changelog (rev 777000)rev 777000)

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.1 will be what everyone expected 4.0 to be — a fully functional
| revolutionary Linux desktop. I took a look at the revision 777000 of this
| desktop environment and what you get is a visual changelog describing the
| current progress in terms of look and feel and the features.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-41-visual-changelog-rev-777000/

Related:

KDE 4.1 Roadmap and Future Goals !

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4 is out, as you probably already know, and it comes with a lot of
| innovations for the Linux desktop. KDE 4 is the next generation of the
| popular K Desktop Environment, which seeks to fulfill the need for a powerful
| yet easy-to-use desktop, for both personal and enterprise computing. KDE
| project’s goal for the 4.0 release is to put the foundations in place for
| future innovations on the FREE desktop.
|
| [...]
|
| KDE 4.1 Roadmap : -
|
|     * March 31st, 2008: Soft Feature Freeze
|     * April 22nd, 2008: Hard Feature Freeze
|     * April 22nd, 2008: Tag KDE 4.1 Alpha 1
|     * April 29th, 2008: Release KDE 4.1 Alpha 1
|     * May 20th, 2008: Message Freeze.
|     * May 20th, 2008: Tag KDE 4.1 Beta 1
|     * May 27th, 2008: Release KDE 4.1 Beta 1
|     * June 17th, 2008: Tag KDE 4.1 Beta 2
|     * June 24th, 2008: Release KDE 4.1 Beta 2
|     * July 8th, 2008: Artwork Freeze
|     * July 8th, 2008: Tag KDE 4.1 RC 1
|     * July 15th, 2008: Release KDE 4.1 RC 1
|     * July 22nd, 2008: Tag KDE 4.1.0
|     * July 29th, 2008: Release KDE 4.1
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/kde-41-roadmap-and-future-goals/

KDE 4.1 Release Schedule, Coming In July

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is the KDE 4 release schedule for the next couple of months, as shared
| this morning at the KDE 4.0 release event keynote by Aaron Seigo. KDE 4.0.1
| will be released later this month with minor maintenance releases coming
| every month. KDE 4.1 is planned for release this July with much polishing
| since KDE 4.0.0.
|
| January - KDE 4.0.1
| February - KDE 4.0.2
| March - KDE 4.0.3
| April - KDE 4.0.4
| May - KDE 4.0.5
| June - KDE 4.0.6
| July - KDE 4.1.0
| August - KDE 4.1.1
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI4Ng

KDE 4's next step, version 4.1 in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of development and preparation, the KDE open source desktop
| community celebrated the much-anticipated version 4.0 release this month, but
| the word among the project's leaders is version 4.1 will only be a further
| six to nine months away.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1390174457&rid=-50

KDE Sets Roadmap for Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Seigo also said the KDE team will not leave its 3.5 users in the lurch,
| delivering an upgrade to that release, known as KDE 3.5.9, in February.
|
| "We haven't forgotten about [KDE] 3.5, because we have a lot of users with
| large installations and they don't change their installations very often," he
| said. "[KDE 3.5.9] will come with an enterprise version of Kontact," the KDE
| PIM (personal information manager).
|
| The KDE team will continue to support KDE 3.5 because the move to KDE 4.0 is
| a big jump for organizations that prefer to migrate slowly, KDE officials
| said. KDE 4.1 is expected to ship in July.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/KDE-Sets-Roadmap-for-Future-Development/

Jon's Review: PCLinuxOS Gnome 2.21.2

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS Gnome 2.21.2 is a much better release than those past, and I am not
| saying this just because PCLinuxOS 2007 uses the rival K Desktop Environment.
| Usability is much smoother, the tools feel much more complete, and
| installation was a breeze, and every bit as easy as Ubuntu, Fedora, or any
| other distribution that is known for easy installation. There are many
| applications available, and they are all updated to the latest packages
| available. PCLinuxOS Gnome 2.21.2 gets the job done without complaining, and
| looks good while doing it.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2008/02/jons-review-pclinuxos-gnome-2212.html

Tweak PCLinuxOS 2008 Minime into Full blown distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| I think Minime is a boon for people like me, who do not want the overhead of
| software like CUPS, bluetooth etc, but still want the user friendly interface
| of PCLOS.
| PCLOS Control Center is a one stop shop for all system configurations, it
| mimics Mandrake Control Center and is as intuitive as the famous YAST from
| OpenSUSE. This is where we can make system wide changes, such as enabling or
| disabling system services, add or remove users to the system, configure the
| firewall, configure hardware, etc.
| PCLOS promises to be radically simple and Minime gives a glimpse of that,
| surely we can expect a great distro in form of PCLinuxOS 2008.
| What I miss in Minime is KDE4 packages, which I hope to find when PCLOS 2008
| is released.
`----

http://www.lazytechguy.com/2008/01/tweak-pclinuxos-2008-minime-into-full.html

MiniMe, a Bite of PCLinuxOS 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| MiniMe as the name implies, is a stripped-down version of PCLinuxOS. It
| serves as a foretaste of what has yet to come since the development of
| PCLinuxOS 2008 is still underway. Nevertheless, MiniMe is pretty much
| functional and can be installed and used as a complete desktop operating
| system.
|
| [...]
|

| MiniMe is definitely worth a try. The installation is outstanding, its
| performance is great, and its ease-of-use is unbelievable. No wonder the
| popularity of PCLOS keeps on strengthening and its users and community
| members are steadily growing.
|
| MiniMe is just an appetizer, but I’m already half-full. I can’t wait for the
| complete version of PCLinuxOS 2008 to come out.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/minime-bite-of-pclinuxos-2008.html

PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’

,----[ Quote ]
| The tendency of Linux distributions to get bigger and pack more and more into
| their liveCD/DVDs (e.g., Sabayon, MIB Games Mandriva remaster) while
| convenient can slow your system down considerably; it’s nice to see that some
| see the need for a more bare bones effort that allows you to pick and choose
| for your particular needs.
| Well worth the download and test drive; see if you can resist making your
| system a dual boot with this very zippy and configurable effort from TexStar
| and company and all the fine developers at PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://fareast.linuxdiary.com/2008/01/12/pclinuxos-2008-minime/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME Preview !

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is an English only Live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that
| runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is decompressed on the fly,
| allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD, including a complete X server, KDE
| desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use. In
| addition to the Live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive
| with an easy-to-use Live CD Installer. Additional applications can be added
| or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via
| Synaptic Package Manager.
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/pclinuxos-2008-minime-preview/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME