[News] [Rival] Unfulfilled OOXML Promises and Another Analysis of OOXML's Broader Agenda

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Unfulfilled OOXML Promises and Another Analysis of OOXML's Broader Agenda
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 18:08:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Opening Open Formats with XSLT

,----[ Quote ]
| In Jon Udell's keynote speech at the conference, he mentioned that the only
| Microsoft Office 2003 application that would lack an XML output option was
| the mail program, but he forgot another one, PowerPoint. I was looking
| forward to some sort of Save As XML feature in PowerPoint so that I could
| create the kind of speaker notes that I like from XML versions of PowerPoint
| presentations, and it looks like I won't get this ability for a while, at
| least not directly from Microsoft.
`----

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/02/04/tr-xml.html

OOXML/ODF: Just One Battlefield in a Much Bigger War

,----[ Quote ]
| In a future world of all-cloud devices, the notion of a desktop Linux, like
| the notion of a desktop Windows or OS X machine, would be very different.
| Certainly of these three operating systems, Linux has the best reputation and
| capability for going small and fast.
|
| Even if this sci-fi-sounding world does not come to be, I am increasingly
| convinced that the next big new market in IT is the cloud sector--a sector
| for which Linux (and ODF) is already well-suited.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-22-021-26-OP-BZ-SV

Very interesting analysis.

Related:

DIS-29500: Deprecated before use?

,----[ Quote ]
| Simultaneously, ECMA addresses this in Response 34 of its proposed
| Disposition of Comments by removing all references to idiosyncrasies from the
| specification and placing them in a newly formed Annex for deprecated
| information. With the removal of this information from the DIS-29500, the
| design goal of MS-OOXML can no longer be met. The entire specification has
| therefore effectively become obsolete.
`----

http://fsfeurope.org/documents/msooxml-idiosyncrasies

This binary part supports the storage of arbitrary user-defined data.

,----[ Quote ]
| <Relationships xmlns="…">
| <Relationship Id="rId7"
| Type="http://.../customProperty"; Target="CustomProperty.bin"/>
| </Relationships>
|
| [...]
|
| Conclusion: Since there is no requirement on the format of the content, any
| vendor can put its proprietary binary extensions in there.
|
| Good Bye Interoperability!
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41994/good-bye-interoperability-3-with-binaries-inside

OOXML Contains Proprietary Microsoft Codecs (as 'Standard')

,----[ Quote ]
| ECMA removes some Microsoft's formats from the list of examples. Does that
| mean that ASF and WMV are excluded from the list of supported codecs? Of
| course not, it is a list of suggestions, and Any supported video type is
| supported, and the ECMA intentions are pretty clear:
|
|     we do not believe that preventing the use of other codecs is appropriate,
|     as it will prevent innovation
|
| And when it comes to address the reference to Quicktime, it is a patented
| format which requires royalty payments to MPEG-LA suckers.
|
| Again, ECMA seems devoted to say: Good Bye Interoperability!
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41316/good-bye-interoperability-2-with-proprietary-audio-and-video-formats

Developers warned over OOXML patent risk

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62037862,00.htm