Re: [News] Can Microsoft Windows Run on 10,000 Cores Like GNU/Linux? [Chuckle /]

____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 22 February 2008 21:37 : \____

> Tim Smith wrote:
>

>> The answer to your question is yes.
>>

> What??? I'm laughing as loud as I can right now.... You have got to be
> kidding? Can you imagine the herd of mcse's that would be required to run
> around the server farm rebooting boxes????? Just to keep them all in
> a "know state".
>
> What a laughable answer that is...

I've seen Windows Cluster[f*ck] in our division (they experimented). The thing
was a total joke -- now if only it was funny.

There were major bugs, one of which was that only one user could be logged in
at a time and at time only on core among 40 would be used. Why have a cluster
when a dual-core PC would get the experiments done quicker?

Don't let the shill satisfy you with a one-liner (unless you snipped it). Ask
for proof. Demonstration of performance, uptime, and so on. These machines
cannot go up and down. This is indexing and QoS is very crucial (when was the
last time you saw Google down?).

"It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
Who are they trying to kid?"
                --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat