Re: So does ODF, Roy

* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

> On 2008-02-22, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> * Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>> I already said why -- Microsoft will leverage the binary content in
>> their document formats to maintain their vendor lock-in.
>
> Yet you want MS to adopt ODF as it's standard over OOXML?  Seems
> contradictory to me, if you think they would just use it to "corrupt"
> the standard.

That is a good point.

And I think it could work for Microsoft.  I'm surprised they haven't
looked at it from that angle.  Either they haven't thought of that angle
yet, or they believe that the binary blobs will affect only small pieces
of content, allowing their documents to be partially rendered by
non-Microsoft office processors, in a manner better than is current
today, where the whole of a document can be littered with defects such
as bad outline numbering or uglified headers and footers.

However, the ability of Microsoft to embrace, extend, and extinguish a
standard does not justify allowing a vendor's flawed standard to be
pushed through a standards committee.

Microsoft will try to corrupt or co-opt whatever they touch.   Let them
try.  Businesses seem to be slowly awakening to that realization.

--
The wise man does at once what the fool does finally.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli