Re: [Rival] Microsoft Loses Developers, So It's Dumping Free (Gratis) Lockinware

* Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

> There's no secret here, this is very much what they do.  I'd suggest
> that you try to avoid letting Weisgerber rile you, it's what he's here
> for, and I'm sure he gets a personal kick from seeing you show any kind
> of emotive reaction to his jibing.  He's the kind of person who would be
> clobbered in the pub in the end for his incessant unpleasantness, but on
> usenet, it's more difficult, although not impossible, to stop, as
> several regular shills have found.
>
> The killfile really is the proper solution.  As you say, it would be
> better for people to silently plonk, *or*, here's a new suggestion, how
> about marking the message with [PLONK] in the subject, so that we can
> all kfile on the marker, thus avoiding seeing the shillpost.

Also, replying to amicus just gives him more opportunities to parrot the
same statements, so that they get more hits in Google.

He seems to imply that it is useless to push for desktop Linux, as if it
were a completely different "market" than the server space.  The server
space is a bit different, because you have more perspicacious user, but
the bottom line is that the Linux tools fit the needs of that space.

And the GNU/Linux tools are getting very close to fitting all of the
needs of the consumer desktop space, in spite of the best efforts of
Microsoft at maintaining their exclusive presenece in that space.

The evidence for that is the sudden intrusion of low-end notebooks by
name-vendors.

This is an encouraging trend, not a discouraging one.  So amicus and the
like have to make us focus on the magnitude of the numbers, rather than
the trends.  And the trends are patently discouraging to Microsoft; just
look at their actions/reactions.

--
The new ruler must determine all the injuries that he will need to inflict. He
must inflict them once and for all.