Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Server 2008 is Vista, aka Windows MEv2

> ____/ Linonut on Tuesday 19 February 2008 13:31 : \____
>
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> There?s no Windows Server 2008 SP1 in the works. Here?s why
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1193
>>>
>>> Same horrible DNA. This is a recipe for trouble, just as many have
>>> anticipated. Wait n' Watch!
>>
>> Dunno about that, but it definitely seems like a stunt to avoid the
>> "wait until SP1 syndrome" that afflicts Microsoft's operating system
>> releases.
>
> Yes, that's what I thought when I watched Mary's headline. But the DNA thing
> may be more significant, as it indicates that you should brace yourself for
> another Home Server (data corruption from the get-go) or another Vista (Ah!!
> Where does one start??).
>
>> Hopefully, the SP1 stuff /is/ an improvement, unlike Vista's SP1 stuff.
>
> SP1 for Vista disappointed merely everyone whose site I watch, including some
> of Microsoft's fan. It's a dud, it does almost nothing. Not to security, not
> to speed, not to compatibility... bugs remain also. WTF??

Vista SP1 was Microsoft's first attempt at a marketing-only SP.  Knowing
that most people are wise enough to avoid Windows releases in their
"early" states because they are so awful, Microsoft released a SP which
had no purpose /other than/ to give the impression that the early
problems had been ironed out and that the whole world could happily
throw away their old hardware, go to the computer shop, buy new
hardware, monitors etc., talk to electricity company, get mains supply
upgraded, talk to anti-virus vendor, take out next mortage, etc., etc.

SPs for Windows are now a matter of marketing.