[News] [Rival] OOXML is History (of Microsoft Office)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] OOXML is History (of Microsoft Office)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:29:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Legacy Inflation

,----[ Quote ]
| So let's reject Microsoft's push for legacy inflation. Otherwise we will soon
| find that the next version of OOXML is also unchangable, since Office 14 will
| be out before the next version of OOXML is standardized. Will we then be
| unable to change anything in OOXML 1.1 because Office 14 is already in beta?
| Where does this end?
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/02/legacy-inflation.html

Mind this important observation. What will be discussed anyway? Some countries
raised no comments after about one day of review (of 6000+ pages). This is a
mockery to everything in the system.

Can you live with it?

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that NBs were never given the time necessary to review the whole
| specification, that the little review that could be done has revealed a low
| quality level, plus the fact that the BRM is limited to discussing the issues
| that were raised from partial reviews, no matter what happens at the BRM,
| there is plenty left for one to say “I can’t live with it”. It would actually
| be unprofessional not to.
`----

http://lehors.wordpress.com/2008/02/21/can-you-live-with-it/

Related:

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]