[News] AMD's Framewave Approaches Open Source, Addresses Performance

  • Subject: [News] AMD's Framewave Approaches Open Source, Addresses Performance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:55:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AMD Joins Open Source With Framewave

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker starts its own open source effort to increase application
| performance. Will this be a counterweight to Intel?
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3728951/AMD+Joins+Open+Source+With+Framewave.htm

Related:

Chips and Motherboards that support a Free BIOS - LinuxBIOS

,----[ Quote ]
| You can help our campaign by buying AMD CPU chips and not buying Intel. AMD
| have been helpful but Intel needs to be persuaded. Likewise, buy motherboards
| that support free BIOS. Tyan Computer Corporation are very helpful to the
| LinuxBIOS project and employ a full-time LinuxBIOS developer.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html

AMD Releases Additional R600 GPU Programming Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| In the second NDA-free documentation dump, AMD has just released programming
| data on the M76 and RS690 graphics processors. While the RadeonHD developers
| have already had these documents, this information will help the free
| software community in understanding the internal workings of AMD's graphics
| processors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=960&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

New Approach To ATI Linux Driver Installation

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting next month with the Ubuntu packaging scripts for the ATI Linux
| driver, the --autopkg and --installpkg arguments will be supported. When
| using this new --autopkg argument, the Ubuntu packaging scripts will detect
| the distribution version, install any build-time dependencies for that
| distribution, builds the ATI Debian packages (the same as running --buildpkg
| manually), installs DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) and libGL package
| dependencies, and then finally installs the ATI driver packages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=976&num=1

AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
| register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In addition,
| they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers who
| may have questions concerning these documents.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMyOQ

Future AMD GPUs To Be More Open-Source Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=955&num=1

`----