Re: ping roy: small/tiny computers

____/ unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx on Thursday 21 February 2008 07:15 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ____/ unionpenny@xxxxxxxxx on Monday 18 February 2008 18:56 : \____
>>
>> > Hi Roy,
>> >
>> > You have posted links about small/tiny computers.  Is there a website
>> > that collects that type of information, as opposed to a company's own
>> > site?
>> >
>> > What I want ... a small computer that can hang on the back of a
>> > monitor.
>> > Think of a laptop with no keyboard or monitor.  Inside is:
>> >    1) memory.  1G option for 2G
>> >    2) video.  Good enough to show movies
>> >    3) chips and connectors for outside communication
>> >
>> > Outside is everything else.
>> >   1) USB
>> >     1.a) keyboard/mouse
>> >     1.b) noise ... err, excuse me, music/sound
>> >     1.c) disks
>> >   2) eSATA (disks)
>> >   3) ethernet
>> >
>> > Linux should have no problem with a box like this.  Microsoft would
>> > not be interested, as Vista would have validation issues.
>> >
>> > Thank you for any pointers.
>>
>> I've just tried to find one of these devices galores in
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/ which covers miniature PCs, but I can't find
>> any. There are several devices such as the Linutop which makes small yet
>> powerful PCs, but they are not as inexpensive as low-cost full-sized PCs.
>> They are quieter and they consume little power though. Then there's the
>> question of availability, which depends on where you live. I personally use
>> an eSys box at home. It cost me 165 pounds back in 2005 and has worked
>> flawlessly since then (running KDE 3). It consumes a lot of power though.
>
> Thanks for looking.  The Linutop-2 is almost there.

It seems to have just been released. Seen it hours ago.

> If it used
> standard memory sticks and had an eSata connection it would be spot
> on.
>
> My current desktop is a Shuttle PC (surf to "tigerdirect.com" and look
> at Barebone, Small Form Factor ... one of those).  It is OK, but they
> put honking big power supplies in there, and the inside cage is soft
> metal.  If I open the box too many times, the screw threads will
> strip, and already it takes some tweaking to get the box booted after
> reassembly.
>
> Searching through Google I found some specialty boxes that were over
> $1000.  Way too expensive.  I want something like a laptop in size
> with no keyboard or screen, no disks, as much as possible outside.

There was an AMD/Geode unit that did something similar, but I can't recall its
name at the moment. It's just one among those options that are diskless and/or
fanless PCs. I had to do a quick search to find out the spelling of Kollu (I
thought it was /Kullo/). Here are some good articles(ish):

Solid State Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Note how my option to install Ubuntu to the USB flash drive is not the
| fastest. Slax performed faster, even with the gzip de-compression. This would
| probably be due to its extremely minimal philosophy, plus it was running on a
| slightly faster USB flash drive. But running Ubuntu, not compressed (as
| described above), is the still best longer-term choice (albeit a bit slower)!
| This is because with Ubuntu you get all the convenience and "upgradability"
| that you won't ever get from Slax 5.1.8. Slax 5.1.8 is about to “go stale”,
| and you wouldn't want Slax 6 in this situation due to the LZMA compression.
`----

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1&p=65

Performance Duel: Koolu 500 MHz vs. Pentium III 666 MHz

,----[ Quote ]
| We also use Ubuntu in our Monastery office. If you read the minimal
| specifications for Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn, it states you need at least a 500 MHz
| machine. We are interested in using computers that are low power, so a
| modern, general-purpose Operating System that has such modest requirements
| suits us fine, as it will run on older, less power-hungry computers.
`----

http://ca.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-RkGSoVA1brWtXrVH9Gr5CzgVujwwGg--?cq=1&p=61

Going to the extreme, there are the solar-powered Ubuntu PCs (I can think of
2).

> I am tired of opening up cases to replace/upgrade disks, sound cards
> (my mobo sound chips died, so I bought an external USB sound
> thingy ... it works great) and whatever else.  If I upgrade the CPU or
> motherboard, I don't want to screw around with cases to pull my old
> disks and then screw around again to install them.  Just yank the USB
> cable out of the old box and plug it into the new one.
>
> I'll have to keep looking.

Good. Be sure to ignore the nymshifting trolls here. Plenty of noise is
intended to prevent and sabotage proper discussion

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
 08:05:01 up 27 days, 17:59,  3 users,  load average: 0.18, 1.01, 1.74