[News] [Rival] Microsoft Out Hunting for Free Labour, Despite Heads Jumping Ship

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Out Hunting for Free Labour, Despite Heads Jumping Ship
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:22:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Nintendo and Microsoft unveil indie games services

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, playing to its traditional strengths in software development for
| personal computers, began offering game production tools to amateurs and
| hobbyists about 18 months ago under an initiative dubbed "XNA."
`----

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=nintendo-and-microsoft-un

XBLA's leaders quit the company (see links below) and many others quit the
company rather secretly.

Free labour again. Same with Silverlight and students. They want people to
carry anti-Linux water for them. And they ban free content for the XBox (see
below), so it's all for Microsoft, not the exploited
developers^Hdevelopers^Hdevelopers.

Related:

Microsoft forbids free Xbox content

| Tim Sweeney disclosed how Microsoft is barring their efforts to
| offer free content for owners of Gears of War. Guys from Epic
| created six maps (two of which have been released to gamers)
| for this hit-title which earned Microsoft millions of dollars,
| but now Epic cannot release the remaining four maps. Reason is
| very simple: money.

XBLA's Ross Erickson leaves Microsoft, heads over to Sierra Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, this follows XBLA General Manager Greg Canessa's
| departure a couple weeks back. While having two of the most
| senior Xbox Live Arcade execs jump ship in a two week time
| span after a particularly long string of subpar Wednesdays
| -- nothing, Ms. Pac-Man, Lumines add-on, nothing, Root Beer
| Tapper, Paperboy, nothing -- might seem to imply certain
| disaster, Ross insisted that he and Greg's decided to
| leave under entirely different circumstances.
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/20/xblas-ross-erickson-leaves-microsoft-heads-over-to-sierra-onli/
http://tinyurl.com/25s6he

XBLA main man jumps ship

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.destructoid.com/xbla-main-man-jumps-ship-29716.phtml

,----[ Quote ]
| It's weird that Mini and all the commenters here have failed to notice the
| mass exodus from the Xbox team in 2007. By my count, more than 15% of the
| product team (dev/PM/test) have left Microsoft for Apple, Sony, Google,
| Yahoo, MySpace, Amazon, and various other companies (including several
| startups, local and in the Valley).
`----

http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/01/raikes-and-other-exits.html

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an undisclosed
| amount of credit.
|
| What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
| operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders, who
| will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving away
| software is the last thing it would want to do in these circumstances, and
| the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it is about the future.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway

Microsoft's stingy DreamSpark program

,----[ Quote ]
| DreamSpark would have been cool...20 years ago. Today it's an admission, as
| Glyn Moody writes, in "the plainest possible terms that its business model
| has failed." Sorry. Maybe you'll catch up next century.
|
| These days, dear Mr. Gates, you must give away the core. No one is interested
| in mere complements anymore. Those are the tools necessary to drive revenue
| around the core being open sourced. Look around. Everyone (Google, Yahoo,
| MySQL, Red Hat, etc.) is doing it.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9874171-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Will Microsoft Survive the Next 10 Years?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not really an expert in this but when I read all the negative
| headlines and articles I ask myself if Microsoft really will survive
| the next 10 years.
|
| [...]
|
| I am pretty sure that the Open Source Community, the new Ubuntu,
| Google and of course Apple are those companies that are ready for
| our century and they will get more and more people that know what
| they really want.
`----

http://websquirrel.blogspot.com/2007/03/will-microsoft-survive-next-10-years.html

P. Graham: Microsoft is Dead