[News] Linux is Everywhere in Virtualisation (Batch)

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Everywhere in Virtualisation (Batch)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:39:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
VirtualLogix(TM) Presenting the Advantages of Virtualization Technology in
Real-Time Digital Signal Processing Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Today's network infrastructure systems may be comprised of DSPs
|         dedicated to data plane functions, and general purpose
|         processors for control-plane functions. VirtualLogix VLX
|         brings the feature richness of Linux together with the real-
|         time capabilities of TI DSP/BIOS(TM). Using VirtualLogix VLX,
|         VirtualLogix Linux, and DSP/BIOS on TI DSPs, communications
|         infrastructure manufacturers can design DSP-only systems
|         providing both data transcoding and control functions
|         resulting in reduced bill of materials and total cost of
|         ownership, while simplifying the development process.
|         Additionally, the ability to integrate control-plane processor
|         functions into a DSP platform becomes critically important as
|         the industry further adopts multicore DSPs.
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/414345.html

The Virtualization Challenge, Part 1: Many From One

,----[ Quote ]
| Then you have KVM, which turns a complete Linux kernel into a hypervisor, and
| Hitachi's hypervisor, which is embedded in the platform's firmware.

FastScale dishes new Nicole Richie Composer Suite

,----[ Quote ]
| The FastScale premise revolves around the company keeping a centralized store
| of operating systems and applications. As it turns out, FastScale has worked
| to remove a lot of the general purpose baggage from those software sets. So,
| it ends up being able to create, say, a Linux and application server bundle
| that consumes just a few MBs instead of GBs.
|
| [...]
|
| The fresh software now works with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Version 3.5
| of VMware's ESX Server.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/fastscale_composer_two/

VirtualBox 1.5.6 released

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox 1.5.6 has been released. This release features include seamless
| mode and fullscreen mode fixes, improved performance of Solaris guests, added
| support for read-only shared folders, experimental support for E1000 device
| emulation, compatibility fixes with Linux Kernel 2.6.24 and so on.
`----

http://phorolinux.com/virtualbox-156-released.html

Related:

Virtualization demo'd for QoS, security

,----[ Quote ]
| Real-time virtualization vendor VirtualLogix says its nanokernel can improve
| quality-of-service in VoIP applications. The vendor plans to demonstrate a
| Nokia web tablet running Linux and a VoIP softphone "appliance" on the VLX
| virtualization layer at the GSMA Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next
| week.

Real-time virtualization targets Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Takafumi Nishijima, president of ARM Japan, stated, "VirtualLogix's
| real-time virtualization solution increases the market value of ARM
| processors. With VirtualLogix, we can keep the real-time performance
| of an RTOS combined with Linux, while simultaneously adding improved
| security and device management capabilities."
|
| Ryutaro Tanaka, manager of TI's DSP platform business development in
| Japan, added, "With VirtualLogix virtualization software, our
| customers can run the DSP/BIOS kernel and Linux simultaneously."

Single-core 3G phone design runs Linux on virtualized processor

,----[ Quote]
| VirtualLogix will demonstrate a multimedia-enabled Linux-based
| mobile phone reference design powered by a single ARM9 processor,
| at 3GSM next week in Barcelona. The NXP Nexperia 7210 design could
| spawn some of the world's first single-core mobile phones
| running open, "rich" operating systems, such as Linux.

VirtualLogix Launches Mobile eXperimentation Edition for Handsets

,----[ Quote ]
| According to ABI Research, an open, commercial operating system that
| supports third-party applications promotes competition in the software
| space and produces products that add value to the device. As an open
| operating system, Linux is proving to be disruptive to the handheld
| market by enabling feature and smart phones to securely adopt
| third-party applications.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Mobile/VirtualLogix_Launches_Mobile_eXperimentation_Edition_for_Handsets
http://tinyurl.com/3cu2h8

Sun to buy VirtualBox maker Innotek

,----[ Quote ]
| un announced Tuesday that it is buying Innotek, maker of VirtualBox,
| virtualization software that may have more value for software developers than
| datacenter administrators.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/12/Sun-to-buy-VirtualBox-maker-Innotek_1.html

VirtualBox: A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, VirtualBox is an excellent application for virtualizing your
| favorite operating systems. I use it to virtually run all of the operating
| systems that we talk about here on LinuxHow2, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo,
| and  PCLinuxOS. Virtual machines are a great way to test new operating
| systems, sandbox an OS, and quickly wipe out and reinstall problem operating
| systems; it's becoming common to virtual an operating system, because of the
| speed of use, and because said operating system does not directly interfere
| with the host OS, if it's infected with viruses (as is often the case with
| Windows) or you just plain don't need it anymore, it's as simple as one click
| to delete it off your system for good.
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/VirtualBox_A_Review.html

Review: OliveBSD turns OpenBSD into very usable live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| Back to the apps. Besides Firefox for Web browsing, there's Thunderbird for
| mail, the GIMP for image processing, SciTE for text editing, Xmms for audio
| playback, Gaim for text messaging, ghostview and Xpdf, Axyftp, the Abs
| spreadsheet, the TightVNC viewer, CD-Rchive and a few more. There's enough
| for me to get my work done, and that's pretty much all I ask.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2008/01/review_olivebsd_turns_openbsd.html

VirtualBox: The best virtualization program you've never heard of

,----[ Quote ]
| InnoTek, a software company in Stuttgart, Germany, has released both a
| proprietary and a GPLv2 open-source version of the program. The VirtualBox
| OSE (open-source edition) has a subset of the features of the proprietary
| version.

VirtualBox 1.5 puts Windows windows on a Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| or the first time, the new version now displays the guest's windows
| seamlessly on the host system's desktop instead of showing the guest system's
| complete desktop in its own window.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/95395/from/rss09

VirtualBox 1.5 released with seamless Windows integration

,----[ Quote ]
| The second screenshot shows that even Windows’ task bar is embedded into the
| Linux system.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/virtualbox-15-released-with-seamless-windows-integration/

VirtualBox Making Waves as Open Source Virtualization Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The youngest virtualization player to enter the x86 virtualization market
| is Innotek. And the company has recently announced a new release of its
| product, VirtualBox version 1.4.0, for Windows and Linux.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/06/virtualbox_maki.html#45612313338246635702

Fedora 7 screenshot gallery

,----[ Quote ]
| 33 screenshots from the installation to the desktop all made with the
| help of Virtualbox.
`----

http://www.winxperts.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1166&hl=

VirtualBox 1.4.0 adds cool new features

,----[ Quote ]
| As promised at CeBIT 2007, InnoTek has released version 1.4.0
| of its VirtualBox virtualization software. Despite the modest
| increase in the version number, the new release boasts a few
| new features as well as a host of tweaks and behind-the-scenes
| improvements.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/06/06/1340255&from=rss

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/virtualbox-14-released/

InnoTek VirtualBox [Mini Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I am impressed with the performance and features of InnoTek
| Virtual Box. The performance wasn't as impressive as it was with
| Parallel's desktop but it was better than the performance I got with
| VMware Fusion.
`----

http://digitaldiscobash.com/2007/05/16/innotek-virtualbox/

VirtualBox installation screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox is an opensource virtualization software, it has a nice
| graphical interface like VMWare, and which is a lack of QEMU, recently
| (march, 14th) it has released its version this is what their site says
| about VirtualBox.
`----

http://linux.go2linux.org/node/54

VirtualBox 1.3.8 Released