Re: DRM one of reasons for Blu-Ray win

____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 20 February 2008 16:32 : \____

> On 2008-02-20, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 20 February 2008 12:36 : \____
>>
>>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:

>>> Roy!  Snap out of it!  You're so on edge you used the wrong acronym!
>>> <grin>
>>
>> Oops. Typo/slip. DRM it should have been. I didn't reread it.

>>> This HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray stuff never meant much to me.  I barely
>>> traffic in audio CDs and DVDs these days.  Too much computer fun!
>>
>> Internet television is pretty nice. It's interactive, searchable,
>> recordable. As for HD DVD, that's going to cost Microsoft. It is already
>> trying to deny this because analysts predict kah-kah for XBox.
>>

> How exactly is it going to hurt MS or the XBox?  The xbox doesn't use
> HD-DVD for it's games.  It was simply an addon unit, that you can buy.
> An addon, Roy.  Not standard equipment.

PS3 sales will increase at XBox's expense (360 that is). PS3 does Blu-ray (just
stating the obvious here).

> I read last year that MS was already talking to some one (I can't
> remember who) about developing a blu-ray player addon for the xbox 360.
> There was a reason that MS didn't make the HD-DVD standard in the xbox -
> and that was because they didn't want to be tied to the format if it
> didn't take off.
>
> I think you'll find that in the end, the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war was
> pointless.  The future is in downloadable content.  Apple TV, Comcast On
> Demand, XBox live, and Amazon.  XBox live already has hd-content and is
> rumored to be partnering with Netflix - which should push their selection to
> over 7,000 movies/tv shows for on demand viewing.  Nope, this format war
> was a destraction.

That's a theory that Jobs and other support. Some older-age people prefer
physical copies for the same reason many people prefer books (I personally
live paperless).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Open syntax, Open API's, Open standards
Cpu(s): 25.3%us,  4.0%sy,  1.0%ni, 65.5%id,  3.8%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st