Re: GNU/Linux Can Gain as Pre-Vista Windows Gets Deprecated

Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Precisely the point of my post.  People have been predicting "The Year
> of Linux on the Desktop" for almost a decade, and I had even expected
> it since 1994.  Yet, for almost 15 years, Microsoft has been able to
> maintain it's monopoly, even in the face of it's on incompetence and
> technical inferiority.

I don't know why people keep expecting a specific, identifiable
'Year of Linux'.  Has any major technology migration every happened
in one year?  Was there a specific Year of the Internet?   A Year of
the Automobile?  Why would we expect Linux to be any different?  Given
the 3 to 5 year churn cycle in hardware, I don't see how any one year
could ever claim the name.

Now if the 'Year of Linux' is simply when it became a viable mainstream
desktop with irreversible growth... I think we wooshed past that
milestone last year at the latest.  Of course its been a viable
desktop for some of us a lot longer.

Thad
all the ingredients on the label.