[News] Linux Developers Exploit New Debugging Method, Microsoft Produces Shoddy Nagware

  • Subject: [News] Linux Developers Exploit New Debugging Method, Microsoft Produces Shoddy Nagware
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:25:54 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Decoding Oops

,----[ Quote ]
| "This week, a total of 49 oopses and warnings have been reported, compared to
| 53 reports in the previous week," Arjan van de Ven noted, sending out a list
| of the week's top 10 kernel oopses.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Decoding_Oops

Microsoft set to milk mobile Messenger mavens?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft-loving mobile types at MoDaCo - an online forum dedicated to
| smartphone and PocketPC news - claim that their mobile Messenger clients have
| been invaded by "30-day trial" messages indicating that Steve Ballmer and
| company will soon start charging for the IM service.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft confirms that these 30-day trial messages were pushed out, but it
| claims that this wasn't supposed to happen on Windows Mobile devices. The
| messages were only intended for the Symbian-based Nokia S60 smartphone.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/mobile_messenger_30_day_trial/

Quote for the day:

"The threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point
we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately. I also
believe that Apple is taking this threat pretty seriously."

                                --Ben Waldman, Microsoft manager

Related:

2.6.24-rc7, A Lot of Rather Small Changes

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's been two weeks since rc6, but let's face it, with xmas and new years
| (and birthdays) in between, there hasn't actually been a lot of working days,
| and the incremental patch from -rc6 is about half the size of the one from
| rc5->rc6," began Linus Torvalds, announcing the release of the 2.6.24-rc7
| Linux kernel. He then quipped, "and I'll be charitable and claim it's because
| it's all stabilizing, and not because we've all been in a drunken stupor over
| the holidays."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.24-rc7_A_Lot_of_Rather_Small_Changes

Linux Will Be Worth $1 Billion In First 100 Days of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php