[News] Linux Gives Necessary Choice, Makes Windows Look Ugly

  • Subject: [News] Linux Gives Necessary Choice, Makes Windows Look Ugly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 02:54:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The choice of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux can be about choice. You can choose to use Linux instead of something
| else. You can choose which Linux distribution to use, and in some cases, you
| can even choose which flavor of that distribution. These are all choices a
| user can and should make. Lets not interpret choice as an excuse to present
| 400 knobs to a user and expect them to know what to do with them, and then
| accuse them of doing things wrong when it inevitably breaks. If this excludes
| some users because the choices the head chefs make don’t suit them, that’s
| fine. There are other Linux choices for them. The important thing is that we
| give the users who choose us the best experience possible.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/01/09/the-choice-of-linux

9 Characteristics of Free Software Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Operating systems come with cultures as much as codebases. I was forcibly
| reminded of this fact over the holidays when several family members and
| neighbors press-ganged me into troubleshooting their Windows computers.
| Although none of us had any formal computer training, and I know almost
| nothing about Windows, I was able to solve problems that baffled the
| others -- not because of any technical brilliance, but because the free
| software culture in which I spend my days made me better able to cope.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3720506

Related:

After Ubuntu, Windows Looks Increasingly Bad, Increasingly Archaic,
Increasingly Unfriendly

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/382946.htm