[News] Microsoft Tries Serving Kool-Aid to Free Software Developers

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Tries Serving Kool-Aid to Free Software Developers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 02:46:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apache Developers Invited to Redmond

,----[ Quote ]
| I would like to extend an official invitation to the Apache Software
| Foundation to participate in the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Compatibility
| Labs here in Redmond. The Compatibility lab is scheduled for Monday February
| 25 2008 through Wednesday February 28 2008.
`----

http://blogs.msdn.com/garretts/archive/2008/01/09/apache-developers-invited-to-redmond.aspx

Related:

"Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

,----[ Quote ]
| Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
| MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

INQhack survives Vistability test in Volesville

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vole (Microsoft) supposedly invited The INQ over for tea because
| we are notorious "Microsoft doubters" - and we were accompanied by
| other supposed Vole doubters such as the folk from lifehacker and
| a very nice man from Slashdot, as well as some Microsoft MvPs.

Microsoft desperately wants my love -- and yours

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent December seventh, eighth, and ninth in Seattle as Microsoft's
| guest. Microsoft flew me there from Florida at its expense, put me up
| in a nice hotel, provided decent food, and comped me and four other
| invitees to this "special conference" with presentations about the
| marvels of Vista and other recent or upcoming Microsoft products. They
| didn't quite play the old Beatles song "Love Me Do" in the background,
| but it was the event's unstated theme.

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
|
| [...]
|
| Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| Premium Ultra-Capable.

Microsoft's Laptop Giveaway Becoming PR Disaster?

,----[ Quote ]
| This thing is starting to feel like a PR disaster. Bloggers are
| starting to smell blood and this thing very well may begin to
| turn into yet another episode of bloggers gone wild.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061228/23174_id.html?.v=1

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Getting a Vaio [with Vista, from Microsoft, even in March 2007]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tomrafteryit.net/getting-a-vaio/