Re: [News] Loads of New Linux Gadgets Unveiled at CES 2008

> ____/ Mark Kent on Monday 07 January 2008 18:32 : \____

>>> Look who /else/ is there.
>>>
>>> CES 2008: GP2X Linux-Based Handheld Game Console
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/ces-2008-gp2x-l.html
>>
>> The new GP2X is brilliant.  The CPU upgrade is enough to run many
>> emulators at full speed, plus the touch-screen is a popular improvement
>> in the interface.  It's still got the excellent video and audio playing
>> capabilities, indeed, TV from our mythtv box here is automatically
>> encoded into a format which both the N770, N800 and GP2X and GP2X-F200
>> can all play natively.  It's then dropped onto the Bubba Excito, so that
>> the networked devices (the Nokias) can play them directly from anywhere
>> in range of the Wifi network.
>>
>> Welcome to the new world...
>
> I'm careful not to post too much to COLA. There's a /HUGE/ number of Linux
> devices being unveiled in this Las Vegas expo. It also seems like we're
> entering an age of 'appliances' like Eee PC and Nokia tablets, so the future
> is bright.

I don't see that you could post too much positive news about Linux
devices here.  I appreciate that the death of the desktop is very much
seen as anathema by many here, but in fact, the opportunities on these
new devices will far outweigh anything we've seen so far.