[News] GNU/Linux Boasts Non-obtrusive User Interface

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Boasts Non-obtrusive User Interface
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:18:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Software that gets in the way

,----[ Quote ]
| Do utilities which provide a graphical user interfaces really help us? Or are
| they merely another layer between people and their own competence? At times,
| I really wonder.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15994/1148/

Related:

Analyst slams Vista's 'backward' UI

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista is a step back in usability, researcher claims
`----

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&newsID=17334

Learning to Live with UAC

,----[ Quote ]
| Like most veteran Windows users, I balked when I first encountered the User
| Account Control (UAC) mechanism in the latter BETAs of Vista. The constant
| interruption of nearly every system or maintenance related task was
| unbearable. Finally, after one particularly frustrating bout of "move the
| file/yes I really want to move the file/please let me move the file/sorry, do
| dice buddy," I did what many early Vista users did: I turned UAC off.
|
| Hint: For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, the option to disable
| UAC is buried under the User Accounts sub-section of the Control Panel.
|
| Ah, the bliss of no UAC! I could now do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted!
| It was just like Windows XP, but with a cooler UI!
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2007/07/learning_to_liv.html

Vista's UAC needs an overhaul. Ideas?

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems like everyone, other than possibly Microsoft's Vista team
| itself, seems to believe that the User Account Control (UAC) in
| Vista already needs an overhaul.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=277

Windows Vista: Secure Or Just Frustrating?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theitarticles.com/windows-vista-secure-or-just-frustrating/264/

,----[Quote ]
| "Oh, excuse me, is this supposed be a joke? We all remember all those
| Microsoft's statements about how serious Microsoft is about security in
| Vista and how all those new cool security features like UAC or Protected
| Mode IE will improve the world's security. And now we hear what?
`----

http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2007/02/vista-security-model-big-joke.html

Vista's Faux Security

,----[ Quote ]
| At the end of the new Apple ad, the security guard finally asks the
| hapless PC: "You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"
|
| Unfortunately, after conditioning the world to click "allow," all
| Microsoft will have accomplished is to pass the buck to the hapless
| PC user, trying to make the user responsible for anything bad that
| happens because they ultimately chose to allow it.
|
| While that may allow Microsoft?s security engineers to sleep at night,
| the rest of us won't rest as easy until Vista's holes are plugged
| with something more substantial than a dialog box.
`----

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/article.php/11162_3660976_2

Windows Vista set to overwhelm helpdesks

,----[ Quote ]
| The Windows Vista features that will most benefit end users are
| likely to cause a flood of calls to enterprise IT help desks, it
| was claimed today.
|
| SupportSoft predicted that one of the main areas in which
| end-users are likely to experience problems will be dealing
| with Vista's security features.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=44424

Windows Forces you to use UAC to Add a Printer

,----[ Quote ]
| Another bug that got past the extensive RTM testing process? Nope.
| It's a bug that came into existence during the finalization process.
| This bug wasn't there in RC2, but it's most definitely there now. All
| we can say is, hopefully this gets patched before SP6.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/326

Vista: Slow and Dangerous

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the time I spent testing Vista was with sluggish pre-release
| versions. I expected things to improve when I ran the finished software
| on PCs configured for the new Windows version. I now realize that
| Vista really is slow unless you throw a lot of hardware at it.
| Microsoft claims it will run with 512 megabytes of memory. I had
| recommended a minimum of a gigabyte, but 2 GB is more like it if
| you want snappy performance.
|
| [...]
|
| The most exasperating thing about Vista, though, is the security
| feature called User Account Control. UAC, satirized in an Apple
| ad as a security guy who constantly interrupts a conversation,
| appears as a pop-up asking permission before Windows...
`----

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/BusinessWeek/2007/03/26/3124001

Windows Vista Tip: Run as administrator

,----[ Quote ]
| This will make every admin operation prompt you for credentials
| while it is great if you do a lot of remote operations it can
| become tedious if you are performing a lot of local admin operations.
`----

http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_blog/archive/2006/12/01/windows-vista-tip-run-as-administrator.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/y64c6r

Microsoft: Turn off Vista's UAC to fix problems

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://beta.amanzi.co.nz/2006/11/13/microsoft-turn-off-vistas-uac-to-fix-problems/