[News] Good Report About Kerala's Migration to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Good Report About Kerala's Migration to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:05:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Adventures with Neko

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, a few of us had a discussion about translating the book to
| Malayalam. GNU/Linux is now available in a lot of schools - and a local
| language version would be a boon to many smart kids who are capable of
| learning things by themselves.
`----

http://pramode.net/2008/01/06/adventures-with-neko/

Related:

The Story of Free Software in Kerala, India

,----[ Quote ]
| We saw how Free Software has come to stay in Kerala. The natural question
| this raises is, “Why Kerala?” There is no other state in the country where
| Free Software has made an impact that is anywhere near that in Kerala.
`----

http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2007/08/story-of-free-software-in-kerala-india.html

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

“Linux is more stable, it is crash resistant, and its compatibility and
interoperability is as high as Microsoft”

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is what Wassan has to say on the strategic equilibrium that he is
| working on for government and enterprises. He feels it is vital for
| opening up an opportunity for Linux to compete and develop a stronghold
| on the market
|
| [...]
|
| Majority of the schools in Kerala, for instance, have already switched over
| to Linux and this has been possible only with the help of government support.
| Moreover, 18 of 28 Indian states use Linux or have pilot projects for to be
| used in government depart­ments and education sector.
|
| [...]
|
| We have developed a partner­ship with eSys India who already has its own base
| of large number of channel partners. Our products and software are supplied
| to the end-customers through the retail partners of eSys. We are in a
| dialogue to develop alliances with more and more distributors so that our
| reach to the customers is increased.
`----

http://dqchannels.ciol.com/content/ceospeak/107070601.asp

Students develop supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| Team leader C. Mahesh said that Dakshina, with Linux operating system, is a
| platform to deliver excellent performance for users who seek high computer
| power and resource in a multitasking environment. Dakshina utilises message
| passing interface for a fault tolerant communication between the
| computational nodes. It also utilises parallelism technologies like
| multicore, multithreading and cluster of workstations.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/06/stories/2007110650920200.htm

FOSS India Awards: Name It To Claim It

,----[ Quote ]
| According to openITis.com, "By creating a platform for Indian developers to
| showcase their contributions, we hope to wipe away the rampant misconception
| that Indians do not contribute to the FOSS ecosystem..."
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/22513/news.htm

Students develop new GNU installer

,----[ Quote ]