[News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovates' by Copying Again, Playing Catch-up

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft 'Innovates' by Copying Again, Playing Catch-up
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:15:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows Mobile 7 hopes to mimic iPhone; will fail just like Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Mobile, the operating platform installed on most smartphones today,
| is going to get revitalized in its 7th version. However, a set of insider
| documents reveals that Microsoft is trying to invigorate Windows Mobile with
| many of the same features and innovation that the iPhone now possesses. If
| Microsoft goes this route, Windows Mobile 7 will follow in its big brother
| Vista’s footsteps to certain failure.
`----

http://mobileium.blogspot.com/2008/01/windows-mobile-7-hopes-to-mimic-iphone.html

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."

                                                --Nathan Newman

Related:

Windows Trying to Catch up!

,----[ Quote ]
| Win folks starts cloning with this pathetic attempt to recreate XGL with
| this Yod'm 3D! The 3D Window Manager on Windows from CrystalXp
|
| [...]
|
| Too slow, the desktop bar keeps on jumping out of place and on top
| of all that it doesn't come with decent uninstall feature!!
|
| Advice Don't do it, want a professional cool looking and FREE O/S
| get yourself Linux otherwise stick with your Windows Explorer!!
`----

http://www.mjama.com/mjama/blog/index.php/2007/04/26/windows-trying-to-catch-up/

Desktop dreaming

,----[ Quote ]
| There are Linux users that have little use for productivity suites, and
| depend instead on a simple text editor, which has all the functions any one
| man or woman could need, and makes files that everyone can read.
|
| [...]
|
| Critics like to pretend that free software lacks innovation. This assumption
| is given credibility on the desktop because we can't imagine a different
| universe until we have stopped playing catch up with Windows, and have caught
| a significant share of the Windows market on the desktop.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/265

This eWeek [on Servers]

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked Jason about Windows Server's newfound security: "The first time
| I heard about this new feature," he said, "I thought it was clearly a
| response to Linux.
|
| Windows Server 2008 isn't quite there yet, according to Jason's tests.

Analyzing Microsoft’s OS by Linux Standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://truefire.wordpress.com/2007/10/06/hello-world/