[News] Web 2.0 is Lock-in Galore, Not Open Source

  • Subject: [News] Web 2.0 is Lock-in Galore, Not Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 03:40:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Dependence vs. Independence. That's the choice.

,----[ Quote ]
| Independence is a value that has run like a river, not just through the Open
| Source movement, but through the Independent Developer movement, the Free
| Software movement, and through hacker culture for the duration. Its origins
| are in value systems that recognize the transcendent virtues of personal
| freedom. Including the freedom of assembly that results in social groupings —
| especially those that are inherently elective. To be free is to opt in, not
| just out.
|
| Scoble should be able to take his personal data, his social data, and his
| business, anywhere he likes. Our ability to associate and communicate and
| work out "social networking" should be independent of Facebook, LinkedIn, or
| any company's walled garden.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1006009

Also in OSS news:

A Finger on the Pulse of the Mobile Dev Community

,----[ Quote ]
| The free Pulse service helps bring a "single throat to choke" benefit to
| downloads but without the need to remain dependent on a single commercial
| vendor (or track all the bits yourself) amid diverse open source or ecology
| offerings. Fellow independent IT analyst Tony Baer has a piece on Pulse. The
| service is in beta, with version 1.0 due in early 2008.
|
| [...]
|
| Pulse requires an agent be downloaded to an Eclipse Rich Client Platform
| (RCP).
|
| The services put Genuitec squarely in the "value as a service" provider role
| to many types of developers. As we know, developers rely on communities as
| focal points for knowledge, news, updates, shared experience, code, and other
| online services.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/A-Finger-on-the-Pulse-of-the-Mobile-Dev-Community-61053.html

OpenPro Web Based ERP Software Announces the Release of Version 5.4 for All
Products - OpenPro Software as a Service Product, Easy ERP Software for SMB
Market, and OpenPro Enterprise ERP Software

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenPro is the leader in licensed Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) using
| the open source LAMP technology.

Open Source and Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Moglen came out swinging, tossing out verbal jabs at the notion of Web 2.0
| and the apolitical notions of open source. Moglen asserted that he was being
| grumpy this morning because certain people had left the free software
| movement early to make money and left the free software folks to do all of
| the heavy lifting.
|
| [...]
|
| Moglen emphasized that Web 2.0 is nothing new under the sun, that the
| questions that O'Reilly was posing were coming up 10 years ago, and that the
| GPL v2 gave people like O'Reilly enough time, 10 years, to go off and make
| their millions and enjoy the fruits of free software's labors. And, Moglen
| added, the FSF, by releasing the GPL v3, just gave software vendors another
| 10 years to grow up and figure out what was really important and get freedom
| back into the conversation.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/070724-115717.html

SOA + RIA + OSS = Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software is the underpinning of many SOA and RIA solutions.
| Open source software is the dominant solution for Ajax RIA interfaces...
| Web 2.0 is also about collaboration and using the Internet as a social
| network. It is hard to find a better example of this spirit than within
| the open source communities. Open source software is built socially.
| Communication and transparency are core values of an open source
| project.
`----

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci1215261,00.html

'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly

,----[ Quote ]
| Without Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP many Web 2.0 companies would not
| exist today. This is according to Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly Media and
| the person most often credited for coining the term Web 2.0.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1125

Web 2.0 Companies choose MySQL

http://www.theopenforce.com/2006/07/alwayson_confer.html