Re: [News] British Government Embarrasses with Stance on Free Software, Procurement

> UK Government: Closed Minds on Open Source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| To its eternal shame, the UK Government uses far less open source than most.
>| Worse, it seems to have a closed mind to the whole idea. That's evident in
>| the guidelines that have been released to aid in the interpretation of
>| amendments to Computer Misuse Act (CMA) of 1990 with respect to ?unauthorised
>| access to computer material? (aka cracking)...
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=329

A lot of people in HMG and associated bodies are in Microsoft's pockets.
Just look at the British Library, the National Archives and the BBC as
major examples, plus Becta.

HMG should take a long look at the Dutch government's position on open
source.

> The UK has wasted over $4 billion on failed IT projects since 2000
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Guardian is reporting that the United Kingdom government has flushed over
>| £2 billion (More than US$4 billion) since 2000 on failed IT projects. IT
>| projects fail.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| And imagine if before the UK government went into these projects if it's cost
>| of failure was hugely mitigated upfront by zero licensing costs and the
>| chance to fully evaluate technology before adopting it.
>|
>| It's called open source. Heard of it?
> `----
>
> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9840497-16.html

This is because they have a buffoon advising them that "big is best" for
IT projects.  Anyone whose spent any time as a professional engineer
will know that sane projects always start small and build upwards;
anyone whose studied big systems in detail will also be familiar with
the "cost of complexity", and how it forms a major barrier to large
system development.

Sadly, our politicians are technically inept, and are being advised by
"businessmen" rather than technology experts.  The consequence?
£billins wasted in failed projects that any technologist could easily
predict would fail from the start.