[News] Proof That Scientists Are Better Off Using GNU/Linux for Performance

  • Subject: [News] Proof That Scientists Are Better Off Using GNU/Linux for Performance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 03:30:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows vs Linux Benchmarks with Matlab

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering the hardware is identical, that difference is HUGE. And all
| because of all the screwups Microsoft have made, Vista might well be the
| biggest! (I should really test Windows XP. I would guess it's about 10-15%
| faster than Vista, but still 15% or more slower than Linux)
`----

http://www.antonywilliams.com/2007/12/windows-vs-linux-benchmarks-with-matlab.html

Same with GPU, apparently (see below).

Related:

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/07/sl-speed-showdo.html

[Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx