Re: Microsoft Sued by Proxy Again? (Was: Microsoft accuses Apple of being a Monopoly ..)

____/ chrisv on Friday 04 January 2008 16:17 : \____

> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>
>>"An antitrust lawsuit filed against Apple on Dec. 31 charges the
>>company with maintaining an illegal monopoly on the digital music
>>market"
>>
>>http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205207895
>
> "The complaint takes issue with Apple's refusal to support the Windows
> Media Audio format."
>
> Hypocrisy, thy name is Micro$oft.

If this looks familiar, it should. See notes below about Google and bear in
mind that Microsoft may be pulling strings here, as it possibly did weeks ago
against IBM (no, not SCO, but another case).

>>Jobs should just give up, resign and hand over Apple to bill, after
>>all he is the worlds most innovative innovator. Apple stole the design
>>for the iPod from the Zune, didn't they. At least future records will
>>say so .. :)
>
> And the iPhone copies the...  what's it's name again?   8)

Don't forget that Microsoft also attacks Google for 'monopoly' and possibly
does that to IBM too (by proxy) in Europe.

Recent:

Meet Google: Search Giant, Monopolist Extraordinaire

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft also articulated (Word doc) how the combination of Google's vast ad
| networks with DoubleClick's publishing tools will give the company
| overwhelming chunks of the market.
|
| [...]
|
| Anyone who wants to really dive into the ramifications of the deal to see how
| it will affect the online ad market should check out these documents. Are
| they FUD? They most certainly are. But it's also some of the best organized
| and compellingly articulated FUD I've ever read.
`----

http://googlewatch.eweek.com/content/google_vs_microsoft/meet_google_search_giant_monopolist_extraordinaire.html

FTC disagrees with the Vole:

FTC: We won't block Google-DoubleClick merger

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal Trade Commission regulators said Thursday that Google's controversial
| $3.1 billion merger proposal with DoubleClick can proceed, despite earlier
| complaints raised by competitors and privacy advocates.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9836456-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Now watch this:

IBM Faces EU Antitrust Complaint by Mainframe Maker [w/ Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| International Business Machines Corp., the world's biggest computer-services
| company, is accused in a European Union complaint filed by a
| mainframe-computer maker of refusing to supply data needed for compatible
| products.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aykyYQcLeH_4&refer=europe

Read until the end and see who's behind the company suing. Makes you wonder
about this case with Apple, doesn't it?

Others:

EU Worries About Privacy in Google Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| European lawmakers plan to take the unusual step of pressing antitrust
| regulators next month to look at privacy concerns raised by Google Inc.'s
| intended takeover of online ad tracker DoubleClick.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071217/eu_internet_privacy.html?.v=2

The Key To Google's Success: Innovation or Paranoia?

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s Andy Grove had a popular saying: Only the Paranoid Survive. It was
| the name of his book. Another big thinker, Clay Christensen, penned a popular
| management book called The Innovator’s Dilemma. Keep those two titles in mind
| as you read the following.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/57530-the-key-to-google-s-success-innovation-or-paranoia?source=yahoo#90434808156685266

News Analysis: Microsoft General Counsel on DoubleClick and Antitrust

,----[ Quote ]
| This raises a very important question - why didn't Microsoft match Google's
| $3.1 billion offer. Smith would not comment on this, but I can report from
| very good sources that in fact the company did offer to match it, and was
| willing to pay even more to insure that Google did not corner the online ad
| market. But for whatever reasons, the private equity firm that owned the
| majority of DoubleClick's shares decided to go with Google.
|
| [...]
|
| I asked Smith about the irony of Microsoft asking the government to
| support it on antitrust. His response was interesting.
`----

http://battellemedia.com/archives/003561.php

Microsoft Befriends Google's Foes

,----[ Quote ]
| After a government- and monopoly-inspired period in which Microsoft had
| to pretend to be a gentle force for global good, the company is being
| forced to return to its ruthless roots. Ironically, it is doing this
| in part by decrying the unfair practices of a competitor and
| shamelessly sucking up to the Establishment.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/03/06/microsoft-google-blodget-tech-cx_hb_0306blodget.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/3bewws

Report FTC To OK Google/DoubleClick Deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The deal has faced fierce opposition from both Microsoft (MSFT) and some
| privacy advocates.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/12/03/report-ftc-to-ok-googledoubleclick-deal/?mod=yahoobarrons

Google looks to ad partners beyond DoubleClick deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Tim Armstrong, Google's president of advertising and commerce in North
| America, said the Web search leader's forays into selling ads in print, radio
| and television had shown that marketers would be keen to use a joint system
| that let them better manage ad inventory.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN0450405220071204?rpc=44

Microsoft trying to derail Google/DoubleClick deal by lobbying congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has hired lobbying firm Patton Boggs LLC to do work on "competitive
| issues surrounding Google/DoubleClick [sic] merger."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-microsoft-spends-40000-to-lobby-congress-about-googledoubleclick-merger.html

U.S. lawmakers urge Google-DoubleClick deal scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| Two U.S. senators on the antitrust subcommittee urged the Federal Trade
| Commission's chairman to submit Google's purchase of advertising company
| DoubleClick to "serious scrutiny."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6219414.html

EU extends review of Google/DoubleClick merger

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6218300.html

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Modern man is the missing link between Neanderthals and the civilised man