[News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Barclays Bank Licks the Microsoft Boot
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:35:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Barclays says no to Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| A READER ATTEMPTING to log into a Barclays web site here found himself with a
| little bit of a problem.
|
| He’s running some operating system called Linux and using Fireferret but gets
| an annoying message from Barclays and Mind Leaders (motto: e-learning that
| works) telling him to go away and use Internet Exploder.
|
| We tried it using Windows XP and Fireferret and got the same result too, as
| you can see below.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/03/barclays-firefox

IE7 permits the system to be hijacked and it is also spyware by design
(Microsoft informed of all Web pages that users visit). Nice, isn't it?

Months ago:

(from [H]omer:) Windows 2003 Server bank system pwned

.----[ Quote ]
| Hackers infiltrated the systems of Commerce Bank and accessed the
| records of 20 customers, the US regional bank said today.
|
| The attack by persons unknown was partially thwarted - but not
| before a database of 3,000 records was hacked into and the data of
| 20 exposed. Compromised data included personal information such as
| names, addresses, Social Security numbers, phone numbers and, in a
| few cases, Commerce Bank account numbers, the Columbia Business
| Journal reports.
|
| Security staff shut down the attack and called in police to
| investigate after uncovering the breach a week ago. The FBI is
| investigating.
|
| The method used in the attack is unclear, and something the bank
| will be keen that it stays unclear
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/11/commerce_bank_hack/

######
12.167.75.17   Windows Server 2003   Microsoft-IIS/6.0

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=commercebank.com
######