Re: [Opinion] How annoyed am I at Microsoft? Let me count the ways...

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 03 January 2008 21:28 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Dusty Hendrix
> <drix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 3 Jan 2008 14:44:09 -0500
> <477d2f54$0$26043$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>A rant, indeed a rant.
>>>

>> Yet another COLA bozo who makes his living writing proprietary Microsoft
>> software but then complains how evil Windows is.
>>

> OK, so you're on record as not liking alternatives, then?
>
> Good.
>
> Let me know when Microsoft puts Symbian out of business.
> Last I heard Symbian has about 70% of the mobile OS market.

That is correct. Microsoft is good at PR, so it was successful at pretending
that desktop PCs /WERE/ the computer. Should it not matter that there are
several billions of smart phones (miniature PCs) out there? Microsoft is
very,very good at PR (poker face). It manages to convinced people that only an
O/S (even for phones) with "Shutdown" under some "Start" menu at the
bottom-left corner of the display is the 'standard'-- the only standard which
is 'user friendly' (read: like Windows). But guess what? After about 10 years
in the field and huge spending (losses too, which they hid by combining
divisions), Microsoft has only 6% market share in this area.

> I'll give credit to Microsoft for advancing the home
> game console market with their XBox but their Zune has
> been less than spectacular, and the Orange Phone was the
> butt of jokes for awhile.  Nevertheless, the preferred
> direction obviously is ensuring that we have one OS vendor,
> everywhere, indivisible, with Windows and Office for all.
>
> Simplifies things enormously for everyone.  (FSVO "everyone".)
>
> Better tell Apple Computer as well.  They really need to
> modernize their MacOSX; it's so crappy it doesn't even
> run on standard PC hardware (it can run on EFI, though,
> and presumably that's where the PC is going) and has such
> capabilities as emulating Windows and Unix, plus 99 cents
> per song.
>
> And of course there's other pieces of equipment, such
> as the Amiga, which are fondly remembered and may be
> resurrected in some form.
>
> Can't have that; that just doesn't make sense from a
> business standpoint.
>
> Microsoft.  Where did you want to go today?

Anywhere which is warmer. Dcottt Douglas lives in Canada and I think that the
cold weather prevents blood from reaching all of his brain cells.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "I feed my 3 penguins with electricity and love"
 04:05:01 up 24 days, 16:53,  4 users,  load average: 0.79, 1.18, 1.30