[News] Novell is Snogging with Steve Ballmer, Loses Money

  • Subject: [News] Novell is Snogging with Steve Ballmer, Loses Money
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 03:45:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Novell congratulates itself for snogging Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell wants you to know that selling its soul to Steve Ballmer was a really
| good idea.
|
| On the last day of 2007, two separate Novell execs tossed up blog posts
| congratulating themselves for agreeing to that "interoperability partnership"
| with Microsoft, a year-old deal intent on forcing an unholy relationship
| between Linux and Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/03/linux_pats_self_on_back/

Novell Wasn't Profitable Even After Sugar From Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Even with that "sugar" from Microsoft, Novell didn't end up profitable for
| the year. I don't know how much of the $355.6m payment was recognized as 07
| revenue but Novell still ended fiscal 07 with a $44.5 million loss.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/23465

Mind the image which says "Microvell". Does anybody /else/ want to be swallowed
by The Beast? Or is working for ODF, for open standards (not binary shims) and
for Free software the better way to go? Novell made its own tombstone. The
management deserves to be sacked.

Yesterday:

Microsoft Making Millions Off Novell Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/microsoft_makin.html

,----[ Quote ]
| [Allison: ] "Yes, that's true, actually. I mean I have had people come
| up to me and essentially off the record admit that they had been
| threatened by Microsoft and had got patent cross license and had
| essentially taken out a license for Microsoft patents on the free
| software that they were using [...] But they're not telling anyone
| about it. They're completely doing it off the record."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/02/11/1443211.shtml

Novell: 'No One Can Stop Us From Selling Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| It was reported that those changes would preclude the inclusion of Linux in
| third party distribution deals such as the one Novell recently signed with
| Microsoft and "ban" Novell from selling future versions of Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197003452&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

Why is there no Open Source SLES ?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of them is that the SLES community is much smaller and more aimed at
| proprietary software. Novell itself is promoting Mixed Source and promotes
| its own proprietary software on top of SLES (also see OES). This obviously
| scares part of the community away. The deal with Microsoft obviously does as
| well. As a result Novell is big within Enterprises with little community
| people, and these are not the kind of people that would spend their free time
| rebuilding packages and do QA.
|
| Another reason is that Novell is not in favor of such a project (even though
| people from within Novell _and_ people in the SLES community disagree with
| management) because it fears it will take away some of the profit and Novell
| made a big risk by taking the Linux route, they cannot afford to make it
| fail.
`----

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/content/why-is-there-no-open-source-sles

Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
| announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
| interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
|
| [...]
|
| I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
| as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
| to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
| to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
| market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9813681-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]