Re: [News] Acacia Troll Makes Money from Vapour, IBM Gets Lots of Imaginary Property

> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 03 January 2008 16:14 : \____

>>> Sprint Nextel, Acacia unit settle patent suit
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.portfolio.com/news-markets/local-news/kansascity/2008/01/02/sprint-nextel-acacia-unit-settle-patent-suit
>>>

>> Oh gawd, they just continue to support this system.  This is truly
>> absurd.  There is no point in patent here - how can this possibly be
>> benefiting anyone?
>
> This one isn't as bad as their "JPEG on a Webpage" patent. Sometimes, when I
> read these I think about the Twilight Zone. I just never wake up though.

The fundamental problem here is that we have a pair of antagonistic
lawyers, neither of whom understand the technology, faced with a debate
in front of a judge who doesn't understand the technology, and perhaps
(I don't know enough about the US legal system here) a jury which also
doesn't understand the technology.

No wonder this stuff continues.