Re: John Dvorak Concedes 2007 was a "Crappy Year" for Windows Enthusiasts

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Thursday 03 January 2008 15:55 : \____

> On Jan 2, 4:56 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ____/ ness...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wednesday 02 January 2008 23:22 : \____
>>
>> > Microsoft   up 15%
>> > Google      up 50%
>> > Apple        up 133%
>>
>> > I think if you look over the last 5 years the comparison is even more
>> > dramatic.
>>
>> It means very little. Microsoft is pumping cash into the stock. In general,
>> stock price does not indicate much because it doesn't just gauge actual
>> wealth. IBM and Dell, IIRC, are in heavy buyback mode as well. Novell will
>> inevitably end up this way as well.
>
> Yes, I've read how many large corporations in the US are buying back
> stock.  But to the extent that is true of Microsoft, it means that
> their 15% gain means less than it seems.  I don't know if Apple has
> been buying back stock, but surely their 133% gain is related to the
> success of iPod, iPhone and OS/X.

I don't watch Apple to be honest (I closely track RHT/RHAT, NOVL, INTC, AMD,
IBM, MSFT, ^FTSE and SCOX in the finance feeds), but all that I know based on
bankers' word is that Novell is *advised* to buy back stock (many layoffs
coming next year and jobs continue to move east-wards). It's not looking great
for the US economy in general and I suppose you've heard about the price of
oil (a Benjamin per barrel).

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."
        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006
 17:20:01 up 24 days,  6:08,  4 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.84, 1.47