[News] [SOT] China Keeps Citizens Away from Information, Britain Gives Citizen Information Away

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] China Keeps Citizens Away from Information, Britain Gives Citizen Information Away
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:07:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
China limits providers of Internet video

,----[ Quote ]
| China has decided to restrict the broadcasting of Internet videos — including
| those posted on video-sharing Web sites — to sites run by state-controlled
| companies and require providers to report questionable content to the
| government.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5icR8HXvp5Ke6b1AVqREmk_chVWYAD8TUC7PO0

MPs call for stronger data protection laws

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, the select committee made three points: "There is evidence of
| a widespread problem within government relating to establishing systems for
| data protection and operating them adequately."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/03/mps_call_for_stronger_information_law/

Related:

MI5 warns over China spy threat

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week, China said that it too had been attacked by computer
| hackers. Meanwhile, other experts say that hackers outside of China may be
| using the country's many insecure computers and networks to disguise their
| locations.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7123970.stm

World on the brink global cyber warfare?

,----[ Quote ]
| At the height of these attacks, 20,000 networks of compromised computers were
| linked, and analysis of the malicious traffic showed that computers from the
| United States, Canada, Brazil, Vietnam and others were involved.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15596&Itemid=1054&mosmsg=Thanks+for+your+vote%21

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

Over 50% of corporate desktops infected with malware: IronPort

,----[ Quote ]
| The report also reveals that more than 50% of corporate desktops
| worldwide are infected with some type of spyware with the rate of
| infection as high as 70% in the United States. Trojans or malicious
| system monitors represented over 7% of the infections. Rootkits and
| trick loaders, which reinstall spyware and other obfuscation techniques,
| make remediation very difficult thus prevention is the key to stopping
| these threats.
`----

http://www.crn-india.com/breakingnews/stories/66870.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

China Crafts Cyberweapons

,----[ Quote ]
| The Defense Department reports China is building cyberwarfare
| units and developing viruses.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132284-pg,1/article.html(News)

Estonia suspects Kremlin in Web attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| He said more than 1 million computers worldwide have been used in
| recent weeks to attack Estonian government and business Web sites
| since a dispute arose with Moscow over Estonia's moving of a
| Soviet-era war memorial from downtown Tallinn.
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/internet/05/17/estonia.cyber.attacks.ap/index.html?eref=rss_tech

U.S. cyber counterattack: Bomb 'em one way or the other

,----[ Quote ]
| If the United States found itself under a major cyberattack aimed
| at undermining the natio's critical information infrastructure,
| the Department of Defense is prepared, based on the authority of
| the president, to launch a cyber counterattack or an actual
| bombing of an attack source.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/020807-rsa-cyber-attacks.html

US plans for cyber attack revealed

Homeland Security sees cyberthreats on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| To test the nation's response to a cyberattack, the Department
| of Homeland Security plans to hold another major exercise,
| called Cyberstorm II, in March 2008, Garcia said. A first
| such exercise happened early last year.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6157809.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2dpbmv

Zombie botnets attack global DNS servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers launched a sustained attack last night against key root servers
| which form the backbone of the internet.
|
| Security firm Sophos said that botnets of zombie PCs bombarded the
| internet's domain name system (DNS) servers with traffic.
|
| "These zombie computers could have brought the web to its knees,"
| said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174383/zombie-botnets-attack-global

Perspective:  Microsoft security--no more second chances?

,----[ Excerpt ]
| CNET News.com's Charles Cooper says the software maker is running out
| of excuses for a history of poor security.

| As if Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff didn't have enough on
| his plate.
|
| Not only has he had to deal with Katrina and Osama. Now he's also got to
| whip Steve Ballmer and the crew at Microsoft into shape. If past is
| prologue, that last task may be the most daunting of all.
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-1002_3-6104512.html?part=rss&tag=6104512&subj=news

Duh! Windows Encryption Hacked Via Random Number Generator

,----[ Quote ]
| GeneralMount Carmel, Haifa – A group of researchers headed by Dr. Benny
| Pinkas from the Department of Computer Science at the University of Haifa
| succeeded in finding a security vulnerability in Microsoft's "Windows 2000"
| operating system. The significance of the loophole: emails, passwords, credit
| card numbers, if they were typed into the computer, and actually all
| correspondence that emanated from a computer using "Windows 2000" is
| susceptible to tracking. "This is not a theoretical discovery. Anyone who
| exploits this security loophole can definitely access this information on
| other computers," remarked Dr. Pinkas.
|
| Editors Note:  I believe this "loophole" is part of the Patriot Act, it is
| designed for foreign governments.  Seriously, if you care about security,
| privacy, data, trojans, spyware, etc., one does not run Windows, you run
| Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/14365/duh-windows-encryption-hacked-via-random-number-generator

How NSA access was built into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has revealed that
| special access codes prepared by the US National Security Agency
| have been secretly built into Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years
| ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a
| few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access
| system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
`----

http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/5/5263/1.html

NSA Builds Security Access Into Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A careless mistake by Microsoft programmers has shown that special access
| codes for use by the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) have been secretly
| built into all versions of the Windows operating system.
`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990903S0014

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

United States Government Online Watchdogs? Part of the war on terror?

| Is there anyone in the abandonia community with a US based connection who is
| experiencing this watchdog behavior? Are any foreign Vista users experiencing
| similar attacks from their own countries ministries and governing agencies?"
`----

http://www.whitedust.net/news/3984/United_States_Government_Online_Watchdogs?_Part_of_the_war_on_terror?.../

Austria OKs terror snooping Trojan plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Austria has become one of the first countries to officially sanction the use
| of Trojan Horse malware as a tactic for monitoring the PCs of suspected
| terrorists and criminals.
|
| [...]
|
| Would-be terrorists need only use Ubuntu Linux to avoid the ploy. And even if
| they stuck with Windows their anti-virus software might detect the malware.
| Anti-virus firms that accede to law enforcement demands to turn a blind eye
| to state-sanctioned malware risk undermining trust in their software, as
| similar experience in the US has shown.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/23/teutonic_trojan/

Schäuble renews calls for surreptitious online searches of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/97755/from/rss09