Re: longest without a reboot

On 2008-01-03, Ewok <ewok313@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 5:27 am, Tom Shelton <tom_shel...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Jan 2, 7:25 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> > ____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 02 January 2008 18:14 : \____

<snip>

>> > On this 1.8GHz machine, with RAM fully occupied (therefore OOo needs to resort
>> > to paging), OOo just takes a few seconds to launch for the first time. Don't
>> > ask me how. I haven't a clue what you did.
>>
>> Again - define few.  I showed you my times, lets see yours.
>>
>> --
>> Tom Shelton
>
> I have twice your memory, but approximately your processor, so it
> should take about the same time. Mine takes 3 seconds. I googled start
> up on open office and came with the following tip.
>
> Tools menu, options
> Memory under OpenOffice.org
> Change:
> Undo
>  Number of steps to 25
> Graphics cache
>  Memory per object 2.0 MB
>  Remove from memory after 00:05
> Cache for inserted objects
>  Number of objects 15
> Mark OpenOffice.org quickstarter
>
> I didn't need to do this, but it may help, to get down the start up
> time.
>
> /Your friendly neighbourhood Ewok

Thanks, but it didn't make any difference - but maybe because the
quickstarter thing doesn't seem to be launching.  I dual boot this
machine with kubuntu 7.10 so I booted into that to see if made any
difference and the times were the same.  The option for
the quickstarter is disabled on the kubuntu install  so I couldn't
test it's effect on either system.

I have a hard time believing you have a cold start time of 3 seconds on
an equivalent machine.

--
Tom Shelton