[News] The Myth of Having to Compile Software in GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] The Myth of Having to Compile Software in GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 06:30:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
CMMI is not a secret code

,----[ Quote ]
| In the Linux world new users are often scared away by horror stories of
| having to compile their own programs. With todays distributions where there
| are, in the case of *buntu, over 20,000 pre-compiled programs to choose from
| and the need to compile your own programs is very rare. In fact about the
| only time you will compile your own programs is if you wish to use a
| different version than what the distributions repository supplies.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/cmmi-is-not-a-secret-code-21537

Related:

Linux: Supporting Older GCC Releases

,----[ Quote ]
| When it was asked how many kernel developers use older version of GCC, Linus
| Torvalds explained that it really doesn't matter, "it's NOT about 'kernel
| developers'. It's about random people testing kernels. If we make it harder
| for people to test kernels, we're going to lose. So no, I vote for *not*
| cutting off old gcc versions unless it's absolutely fatal."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14213

Well It Was Twenty Years Ago Today...

,----[ Quote ]
| It was early June in 1987 when Richard Stallman announced the release
| of the GNU C compiler version 1.0. As I wrote in Open Sources, it was
| the most thrilling and most terrifying day of my life (up to that
| point).
`----

http://opensource.org/node/155

Tools: GCC 4.2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Mitchell announced the availability of GCC 4.2 saying, "GCC 4.2.0
| is a major release, containing new functionality not available in GCC
| 4.1.x or previous GCC releases." He then linked the GCC 4.2 Release
| Series Changes, New Features, and Fixes document for more details as
| to what is new in this release.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8214

Absoft Announces New Fortran Compiler Technology for AMD Multi-Core Processors

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/primenewswire/127859.htm