Re: Patent Sellout (Novell) and Patent Megatroll (LANCOR)

____/ Rex Ballard on Wednesday 02 January 2008 18:51 : \____

> Microsoft still has some big problems.  Novell has a great GUI
> interface for configuring and managing Xen clients, but they don't own
> Xen.  Microsoft still has to cut deals with Xen developers, or their
> representatives.

Microsoft seems to have used Citrix, a close business partner, to buy Xen. This
comes after a close partner$hip Microsoft had with Xen. Microsoft could not
acquire Xen because of the FTC and the GPL, but after the acquisition by
Citrix, the developers lost focus on Linux. Additonally, as part of the deal,
expect SUSE to run /under/ Windows.

I have many more remarks to make. You're missing lots of the information that
isn't contained in Novell's /own/ (and thus subtly promotional) filing.

Microsoft promotes SUSE because of:

- OOXML
- Windows as primary O/S
- patent royalties (mind the fact that Novell passes on patent money based on
  sales volume

Microsoft wins so much for such a (relatively) small amount of money. Novell
had issues with Fargo bank just before the deal. Let that tell you the context
of this whole thing. There were also the warnings from the Nasdaq and the FTC
probe.

Microsoft loves competition.
"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."
                --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President