Re: Xandros Linux OS4 Home. It's cheap but does it work?

____/ philo on Wednesday 02 January 2008 23:39 : \____

> "ray" <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:12:40 -0800, TJ wrote:
>>
>> > Cheap - and nasty? Or a real steal for $30?  That's the question.
>> >
>> > Will this Linux OS distribution do what an MS OS does, more securely
>> > for less?
>> >
>> > TJ
>>
>> No. For example, it will not give you a daily BSOD and it will not need to
>> be reinstalled every 6-12 months. And, of course, it depends on what,
>> exactly, you want it to do. It will not run every MS program - but it will
>> run Linux programs which are generally available to do the same things.
>>
>> If you want to run an office suite, surf the internet, process digital
>> photos, etc. then any Linux distribution will do that - if you want to run
>> proprietary MS software, then it may or may not (there is a Linux program
>> called WINE which will run a lot, but not all, MS software).
>>
>> I've tried Xandros and not been overly impressed. It requires an annual
>> subscription to keep updates coming. IMHO there are better Linux
>> alternatives, such as SuSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian and many others which
>> do not require a fee.
>>

> I agree. I, too have tried Xandros and found it to be about the only Linux
> distro that crashes!
>
> Too bad.
>
> Anyway..I've been using Linux at least part time since the year 2000
> and found PCLinuxOS to be quite excellent.
> A free download.
>
> WINE did not come with the download...
> but was easilt added and I tried a few windows apps and they did work.
> Don't know how many will...
> but I'd say give it a try

Xandros is just a (p)(re)packaged Debian. Get yourself a better O/S that didn't
sell out to a fierce competitor for cash and doesn't pay royalties for
mythical patents.

Based on reviews, Xandros is beaten by many other distros. If you want the
binary stuff preloaded, Linux Mint is worth a shot. Don't be misled or lured
in by shrink-wrapped box of a Linux. You don't need a Xandros logo to use
GNU/Linux.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1510068k total,   437912k used,  1072156k free,    48196k cached