[News] Economist: "Copyrights and Patents are Government Granted Monopolies"

  • Subject: [News] Economist: "Copyrights and Patents are Government Granted Monopolies"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:29:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
An Economist Questions Intellectual Monopolies

,----[ Quote ]
| Copyrights and patents are government granted monopolies. They have their
| origins in the feudal guild system, not the free market economics of Smith
| and Ricardo. In fact, at the end of the 19th century, Switzerland and the
| Netherlands actually eliminated patent and copyright protection, with the
| intent of promoting free market competition. In spite of their feudal legacy,
| and their obvious status as forms of protectionism, few economists ever
| question the merits of the patent and copyright systems.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/01/economist-questions-intellectual.html

More BS (from the latest news):

Toshiba sues DVD duplicator Acme

,----[ Quote ]
| Toshiba last week launched legal action against an Italian disc duplication
| company it maintains has infringed its intellectual property.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/02/toshiba_sues_acme/

Related:

What Does "IP" Really Mean?

,----[ Quote ]
| For readers of Linux Journal, "IP" almost certainly refers to the Internet
| Protocol, part of the TCP/IP suite that underpins the Internet. But to most
| people, if it means anything, "IP" refers to something known as "intellectual
| property". This widespread recognition is rather curious,
| because "intellectual property" does not exist.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005736

Patenting For Profits

,----[ Quote ]
| Managing technology patents is becoming a science in itself. IBM, for
| example, consistently one of the global leaders in patent filings, recently
| filed an application to create a unique system for protecting its patents.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/12/19/patents-bain-protection-oped-cx_vbgc_1220patents.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/3xuf49

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html