[News] New Years Sees Migrations to GNU/Linux at Windows' Expense

  • Subject: [News] New Years Sees Migrations to GNU/Linux at Windows' Expense
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 08:41:14 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
My new years resolution is to cut all dependency on Microsoft products starting
with windows.

,----[ Quote ]
| I encourage you all to follow my example and if you could post you resolution
| here in agreement with me for all to see through out the next year.
`----

http://gfxcomplex.com/blog/uncategorized/my-new-years-resolution-is-to-cut-all-dependency-on-mirosoft-products-starting-with-windows/
http://tinyurl.com/3dg6bc

Old PCs reborn, with Linux.

Resurecting an old PC

,----[ Quote ]
| An install of something lighter and more secure is needed to put the machine
| back in service. The machine is a Dell Dimension L667R. It is only a 666 MHz
| machine with 128 MB, so even running a Linux distribution like a standard
| version of Ubuntu is going to be a stretch. I am settling on Xubuntu which
| sports the Xfce desktop. Since I am pushing memory requirements, I will give
| the alternate CD a try. If it works, I may even lay a little down to upgrade
| the memory, yay!
`----

http://kmcgra.blogspot.com/2008/01/resurecting-old-pc.html

Windows was a pig hungry enough to spur purchases of PCs that will run Linux
for many years to come (maybe even KDE 4.0).

Related:

The Year Of The Small Distro

,----[ Quote ]
| 2007 may well be the year of the small distro.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/the_year_of_the_small_distro.html

Stop! Don't trash those old PCs

,----[ Quote ]