[News] Op-ed: Windows Makes Dumb Generation with Technical Problems

  • Subject: [News] Op-ed: Windows Makes Dumb Generation with Technical Problems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:18:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Unblocking Blockheads or, Some People Should Not Use Computers or, "The
Marching Morons" Comes True

,----[ Quote ]
| A sizable number of humans have devoted their lives to erecting barriers to
| learning anything new. You can see it when you talk to them- when something
| as simple as "click this button" produces a glazed expression and drool, you
| know you've lost them forever. Of course they'll waste hours of your time
| complaining about how stupid computers are. But even though it's easy money
| to nod and pretend to listen, and then bill them for every minute wasted on
| empty complaining (I never had enough nerve to charge a whining penalty, and
| I wish I had), it's not how I want to spend my time. Life is too short.

If the "click [of] this button" doesn't work, expect hours of troubleshooting
or a reinstallation.

Related:

10 Reasons Why the Command Line is More User-Friendly than the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Keying is faster than mousing.
|
| It's easier to both give and get help.
|
| Repetitive stress injury comes from the mouse, not the keyboard.
|
| Commands are standard where GUIs are not.

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=10_reasons_why_the_command_line_is_more_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Linux on the line: musings on the CLI / GUI flip-flop

,----[ Quote ]
| People are a funny lot. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. And
| one person’s primary means of instructing a computer is met with disdain by
| another. There’s a perennial battle between mousers and keyboard jockeys,
| and “what’s in” appears to go in cycles.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15449/1141/

Geek to Live: The command line comeback

,----[ Quote ]
| The advent of the Graphical User Interface (GUI) forever
| revolutionized personal computing. A windowed system with point
| and click icons made computers usable for anyone who couldn't deal
| with a black screen and a prompt waiting for arcane textual commands.
| But in recent years, this enormous interface change is coming full
| circle. Amongst power users - and more and more, regular Joe's - the
| command line is making a comeback in modern web and desktop
| applications.
`----

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/command-line/geek-to-live--the-command-line-comeback-226223.php
http://tinyurl.com/y88w3w

Fear and loathing at the command line

,----[ Quote ]
| Whatever the reasons, fear and loathing of the command line is so strong that
| the claim that GNU/Linux still requires its frequent use is enough to
| convince many people to stick with their current operating system. The claim
| is no longer true, but you can’t expect people to understand that when the
| claim plays on so many of their basic fears about computing.
`----

http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2007/10/11/fear-and-loathing-at-the-command-line/

How to completely ditch GUI internet applications for the command line

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/ditch_gui_apps_for_command_line