[News] Another Open System Emerges, Runs GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Another Open System Emerges, Runs GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:13:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Win a Custom, Open-Source Mini Monster PC: Extreme Freebie

,----[ Quote ]
| And we saved the best part for last. We’re running our little computer on a
| lean, Linux-based OS, and we want to give that away to everyone (see “DIY
| Operating System”). The only thing we’re not giving away is technical
| support.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4230937.html

Yesterday:

Building Your Own High-Tech “Bug”

,----[ Quote ]
| Users could also turn their Bugs into open-source digital video recorders,
| game controllers, biometric security scanners or any thousands of devices
| that the big electronics companies haven’t thought of or won’t address
| because the market for such a gadget is perceived as being too small.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/28/building-your-own-high-tech-bug/index.html?hp

Related:

Hack: The Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology Review takes apart Bug Labs' modular open-source hardware system
| and explains how it works.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux Computer
| Most electronic devices, because of their limited memory and processing
| power, must be programmed using languages and techniques that are difficult
| to master. But the Linux computer at the heart of Bug Labs' modular device
| provides tools that let users program applications more easily. The
| technically inclined can program in Java, a widely known language, and make
| their programs available to other users. The device has enough memory to
| store multiple programs, so it can perform many different functions when the
| proper modules are connected.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19873/

Open source hardware comes out of closet

,----[ Quote ]
| EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
| pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
| now it’s becoming a reality.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/open-source-hardware-coming

The Future of Hardware is Open Source