[News] 2007 a Successful Year for the GNU GPLv3 (and Thus Freedom)

  • Subject: [News] 2007 a Successful Year for the GNU GPLv3 (and Thus Freedom)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 04:33:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GPL v3 Year in Review

,----[ Quote ]
| We welcome 2008 with open arms as we say goodbye to 2007. Looking back, since
| the release of the GPL v3, the license has grow quickly and consistently
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/12/gpl-v3-year-in-review.html

Apathy/misunderstanding of freedom is still the main barrier.

Is converting a good idea?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have seen a sudden resurgence in articles dealing with the subject
| of "converting" non-GNU/Linux users. While the general idea is laudable, I
| wonder if the end result is anything but benign. Of course getting everybody
| liberated and free to shape their computing environment seems like the best
| thing to do. Who doesn't want to be free? The problem is that most people
| don't want to have a free computing environment, they rather have no
| computing environment at all. A computer to them is a necessary evil. They
| have to deal with it to get the stuff done they ultimately desire. Most
| people don't want to use a computer to process their information, but there
| are no other more cost and time effective alternatives available.
`----

http://warp35.blogspot.com/2007/12/is-converting-good-idea.html

Later on, DRM (data loss), remote death switches, forced upgrades (money), data
corruption and other things are better understood and ordinary people wake up
to see they are abused.

Related:

Free Software Foundation Releases GNU Affero General Public License Version 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today published the GNU Affero General
| Public License version 3 (GNU AGPLv3). This is a new license; it is based on
| version 3 of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPLv3), but has an
| additional term to allow users who interact with the licensed software over a
| network to receive the source for that program. By publishing this license,
| the FSF aims to foster user and development communities around
| network-oriented free software.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/agplv3-pr

A Quick Guide to GPLv3

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html

Mark Webbink On: GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses the GPLv3
| and talks about the limits of sharing, the mellowing out of Linus Torvalds,
| and issues with the LGPLv3.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2007/10/26/mark-webbink-on-gplv3/#comments

Sun tiptoes into GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems will release its xVM Ops Center virtualisation management
| application under the General Public Licence version 3 (GPLv3), the company
| revealed at the Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2203486/sun-tiptoes-gplv3

Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
| partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
| Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Why-does-Microsoft-seem-scared-of-GPLv3-/0,130061733,339279673,00.htm

FSF Says GPLv3 Means Microsoft Patent Protection for All

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=E86B6EA6-EC51-43DF-A305-9939E5829EFC