[News] Multiple Formats, DRM Ruin Music and Video (Lesson on OOXML)

  • Subject: [News] Multiple Formats, DRM Ruin Music and Video (Lesson on OOXML)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 04:26:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In the DVD War Over High Definition, Most Buyers Are Sitting It Out

,----[ Quote ]
| What if nobody wins the high-definition DVD format wars? That increasingly
| looks to be the situation for the next-generation DVD technology, which is
| available to consumers in two incompatible formats.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/31/business/31dvd.html?ex=1356757200&en=5fd426e7a62710f4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Digital album packaging should improve in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Digital music files just don't provide the same amount of content that a CD
| package does. That includes liner notes, extended album art and lyrics. Buy a
| digital album today and all you get are a list of tracks and (maybe) a
| thumbnail image of the album cover that you can't even read.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN3049009520071231

Related:

Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is deliberately feeding into the HD disc format wars to ensure that
| its own downloads succeed where physical copies fail, says movie director
| Michael Bay in a response to a question posed through his official forums.
| The producer contends that Microsoft is writing "$100 million dollar checks"
| to movie studios to ensure HD DVD exclusives that hurt the overall market
| regardless of the format's actual merit or its popularity, preventing any one
| format from gaining a clear upper hand. Bay's own Transformers is available
| on disc only in the less popular HD DVD format despite his stated preference
| for Blu-ray. To the director, this is primarily a stalling tactic while
| Microsoft refines its own online-only technology.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/12/04/bay.on.microsoft.hd/

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the
|     Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

Is Toshiba Giving Away The Razor [HD DVD] To Get You To Buy The Blades?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just received an e-mail tonight from the folks at the EMA (Electronic
| Merchant's Association), who are responsible for a big industry event next
| week, the Home Media Expo.
`----

http://www.dvddossier.com/2007/07/a2-toshiba-hd-d.html

Tosh to tempt laptop buyers with free HD DVDs

,----[ Quote ]
| Buy it and the company will send you the discs - worth £75, it said.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/21/toshiba_hd_dvd_offer/

Cringely the Unemployable on the fallacy of Web 2.0, Microsoft ruthlessness,
and the CB radio of our decade

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Let me be clear, ladies and gentlemen, there is one company that will
| have to change its illegal behavior as a result of this ruling, and
| that is Microsoft," Kroes said at a news conference.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/332064_msfteu18.html?source=mypi

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft buying it's way into OOXML ISO certification?

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Microsoft is just buying the OOXML ISO certification!
`----

http://masuran.org/node/90

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
| information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
| laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
| proceeding said.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm

Microsoft Office raid in Hungary