Re: [News] Linux Good for the Environment, for People's Health

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:50:28 +0000
<4275744.o0X0SPh5S4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Linux is greener than Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Hear, hear. Linux runs just fine on existing desktop hardware, even on PCs
> | that are several years old now. Give it a 1.5Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM,
> | and Linux is more than adequate to support business tasks. No screaming 3Ghz
> | CPU or 2GB of RAM are needed to run Linux, in contrast to the additional
> | resources demanded to run Microsoft's deplorable Windows Vista.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/17/linux-greener-alternative-vista

On a personal note...turns out my Gnome battery indicator
was not quite as optimistic as I thought.  Sitting largely
idle, my laptop lasted for more than 2 hours purely on
battery power.  However, it might have lasted even longer
under Windows, since the latter apparently knows how to
throttle down the processor when idle.  Reviews suggests
close to 3 hours.  I'll have to test this under XP at
some point.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-compaq-nx9010-series/4505-3121_7-30474669.html

[snip for brevity]

> Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
> | that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
> | have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
> | announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
> | source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
> | Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
> | years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
> | by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
> | are more than happy to believe them.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Next_Gen_MissionCritical_Apps_To_Be_Deployed_on_Linux_Says_Report
>

> CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
> | will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
> |
> | "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
> | - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
> | Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
> `----
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7681

The only problem with Linux at this point is getting the word out. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };