[News] Raising Children on GNU/Linux; IBM Foresees Bright Future

  • Subject: [News] Raising Children on GNU/Linux; IBM Foresees Bright Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:33:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
How to get your kids started young on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Being the responsible parent that I am, it is essential that I raise my
| children with the ability to think for themselves and make the right
| decision. This means making sure that they are raised using Linux.
`----

http://www.suseblog.com/?p=287

IBM's Forecasts Strong Earnings

,----[ Quote ]
| Stellar performance overseas prompted IBM Corp. to upgrade its outlook for
| 2008 despite economic uncertainty at home, raising the question of whether an
| increasingly diverse IBM still should be considered a bellwether for other
| U.S. tech companies.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080118/earns_ibm.html?.v=2

IBM Boosts 2008 Outlook; Shares Jump

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM on Thursday forecast 2008 earnings well ahead of Wall Street expectations
| after results showing a strong international performance, and its shares
| jumped 5 percent.
`----

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22712027/site/14081545?__source=yahoo|headline|quote
text|&par=yahoo

Recent:

IBM Profits Rise 24% Year-on-Year in the 4th Quarter

,----[ Quote ]
| "The broad scope of I.B.M.'s global business - led by strong operational
| performance in Asia, Europe and emerging countries - drove these outstanding
| results," said Samuel J. Palmisano, the company's chief executive, in an
| accompanying statement.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/484839_p.htm

Related:

Incubating Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's  Emerging Business Organization, for example, has produced businesses
| based on innovative technologies such as Linux, generating over $2 billion in
| annual revenues. Hewlett-Packard has grown its printing business to be the
| dominant source of its profits.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/claytonchristensen/2007/12/21/ibm-hp-incubator-leadership-clayton-in_sw_1221claytonchristensen_inl.html
http://tinyurl.com/2v2t8l

Inna Kuznetsova, Global Executive for Linux, IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Sitting at the helm of IBM's strategy pulpit on Linux is Inna Kuznetsova, who
| recently took over the role from long-time IBM Linux executive Scott Handy.

| "We've moved past the ideology," said Sutor, in Salt Lake City
| Thursday to attend graduation ceremonies at Neumont University."
| Many people have figured out that there are a number of ways tom
| ake money from the 'open source' model."
|
| [...]
|
| The litigation has been characterized as part of a proxy war being
| waged by Microsoft against Linux, seen as a prime challenger to
| Windows. Microsoft has been a prime funding source for SCO, but
| earlier this month stunned open-sourcers by announcing a development
| pact for Novell's Suse-brand of Linux.
|
| IBM is watching the apparent about-face with interest - and
| skepticism. "I don't see [Microsoft] doing very much yet for open
| source that isn't at arm's length," Sutor said. "Possibly this is
| a way of perpetrating previous [anti-Linux] strategy while
| superficially looking better."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4679245?source=rss

Is IBM open source's little friend?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...That is because one of the big post-Linuxworld features is all about
| IBM, and how IBM is going to use open source to beat big, bad Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| The story, from Motley Fool, says IBM is going to get Linux running faster
| on its proprietary chips, go after smaller customers using the cost
| benefits of open source, and push an "open health care framework" to
| push computers into smaller medical offices.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=758

Ballmer rattles intellectual property saber at Linux

,----[ Quote ]