[News] [Rival] Microsoft Still Seeks Artificial Growth Through Acquisitions

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Still Seeks Artificial Growth Through Acquisitions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:06:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft & Limelight Rumor: Understanding Limelight's Offerings

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week seemed to be the week of many CDN rumors, one of which was
| Microsoft (MSFT) being interested in buying Limelight Networks (LLNW).
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/60468-microsoft-limelight-rumor-understanding-limelight-s-offerings?source=yahoo

If they need new employees the fill the void left by the staff exodus, here's a
good candidate from the news:

Customs agent took bribes to access Fed police databases

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent court case demonstrates, once again, the dangers of assembling
| massive police databases and trusting that law enforcement officers with
| access are paragons of virtue.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9851761-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Months ago (Microsoft bribery examples):

Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| He acknowledges that the rules might need to be changed.

Microsoft buying it's way into OOXML ISO certification?

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that Microsoft is just buying the OOXML ISO certification!
`----

http://masuran.org/node/90

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
| information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
| laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
| proceeding said.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm

Microsoft Office raid in Hungary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
| the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
| known as the GVH."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3957835.html

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the
|     Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

,----[ Quote ]