Re: [News] More Linux Devices, Even in the Car

____/ alt on Thursday 17 January 2008 00:56 : \____

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:29:37 +0000, [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that alt spake thusly:
>>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:05:28 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote stuff... but
>>
>>> I'm adding something SOT.
>>>

>>> I found out that my Sirius Sportster 4 radio is running eCos... yes,
>>> that's the OSS RTOS located at http://ecos.sourceware.org/
>>>
>>> Not shabby at all.
>>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Apparently this was originally a Red Hat project, subsequently donated
>> to the community:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/about/presscenter/2004/press_eCosFSF.html
>>
>> Not Linux though.
>>
>> Here's another interesting non-Linux GPL licensed OS:
>>
>> http://www.menuetos.net
>
> As much as I love linux, it's not the right tool all the time. I really
> don't see why I would use Linux on an embedded device. I'm not talking
> smartphones and the like, but on very specialized systems - like my
> Sirius radio - which don't have or need a lot of memory or CPU.
>
> just my 2 (canadian) cents.

There is at least one recent survey which proved closed embedded systems get
replaces by open ones.

"It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
Who are they trying to kid?"

                --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat