[News] OEMs Bypass Windows, Run GNU/Linux from the Board

  • Subject: [News] OEMs Bypass Windows, Run GNU/Linux from the Board
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 02:29:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Instant Boot-Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Device VM, a startup based in Silicon Valley, has a product that
| circumvents the everlasting boot-up. The company has recently released a tiny
| piece of software that, when integrated with common computer hardware, gives
| users the option to boot either Windows or a faster, less-complex operating
| system called Splashtop. Depending on the hardware and Splashtop settings, a
| person using the software--which is based on the open-source operating system
| Linux--can start surfing the Web or watching a DVD in less than 20 seconds,
| and, in some cases, in less than five.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20072/?a=f

This is a huge threat to Windows -- greater than Eee PC in fact. It's gaining
industry support and many new features.

Related:

ASUS Expands SplashTop Mobo Selection

,----[ Quote ]
| We've been enthralled by SplashTop, an embedded instant-on Linux desktop
| environment, since we had first looked at this technology on the ASUS P5E3
| Deluxe motherboard. DeviceVM's SplashTop is so interesting that it had even
| earned the title of being one of the greatest Linux innovations of 2007.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3MA

SplashTop Source Code Released

,----[ Quote ]
| These patches are for Bootsplash,
| DVM, getting the CMOS time, adjusting the max loop, the sk98lin networking
| driver, and SquashFS. Presently, the Linux kernel that SplashTop uses is
| Linux 2.6.20.11.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=915&num=1

ASUS add WiFi-N, quick-boot Linux to P5E3 motherboard

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-add-wifi-n-quick-boot-linux-to-p5e3-motherboard-267643.php