[News] *NIX Malware So Rare it Needs to be Faked

  • Subject: [News] *NIX Malware So Rare it Needs to be Faked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:46:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First Rogue Cleaning Tool for Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| We've just found the first Mac rogue application and it's called MacSweeper.
|
| It claims to clean your Mac from compromising files and it will always find
| something to fix/clean but the only way to do so is to buy the program.
`----

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001362.html

There are similar scams that try to convince Linux users to pay for AV
software.

Related:

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

http://www.omninerd.com/2007/03/26/articles/74

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/views/article.php/3665801

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

http://www.xomba.com/linux_more_secure_than_windows_national_survey_shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows