Re: [News] [Rival] MSBBC Busted by Parliament for the MS iPlayer Scam

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:26 : \____

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/01/10/bbc-director-general-grilled-by-mps-on-iplayer/

>> What took them so long? The 'smoking guns' have been out there for ages.
>>

> We know.  The £20 million was actually "more than £20 million".  Well,
> £21 million is more, but so is £100 million, or £1,000 million.
>
> The worst bit was the DG actually lying about the capabilities of the
> Silverlight/iPlayer to an MP.
>
> Cue Kier to deny everything, or perhaps not, now that the DG is
> beginning to admit it.

Two separate and independent sources said it was well over 100 million. I think
the BBC is now trying to bend the definitions as it came up with a new figures
that those responsible spit out in their blog (and mine) while attempting to
remain consistent wrt the numbers. They used a subset of the whole to change
the figure for all I can tell. By the way, the BBC published an article
praising (its own) iPlayer yesterday. It boasted one million users (none of
whom uses a Mac of Linux).

>> Related:
>>
>> BBC Corrupted
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft.
>>| With today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most
>>| basic of duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line
>>| distribution of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a
>>| Microsoft operating system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin
>>| to saying you must own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept
>>| the Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You
>>| simply cannot be allowed to be in control of your computer according to the
>>| BBC.
>> `----
>>
>> http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted
>>

>> BBC iPlayer Protests
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Who are the people responsible for creating this mess?
>>|
>>| * Mark Thompson, BBC director general (DG)
>>| * Erik Huggers, group controller at BBC Future Media & Technology
>>| * Ashley Highfield, director of new media and technology
>>|
>>| Right now, there is very considerable concern within the BBC that the
>>| actions of the Director General and his team are sending the corporation in
>>| the wrong direction. The BBC has been embroiled in a number of recent
>>| controversies, all linked back to the DG's leadership.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/iPlayerProtest

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
Tasks: 172 total,   1 running, 171 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie