[News] Another Example of Companies That Keep Linux Secret

  • Subject: [News] Another Example of Companies That Keep Linux Secret
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:29:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source helps SAAS vendor's systems scale "non-linearly"

,----[ Quote ]
| "We don't say that we're built on Linux unless they ask. Instead, we try to
| figure out what are the questions they really need to focus on. An analyst
| said once, you're selling holes, not drills. If you're answering questions
| about the bit size, you're not marketing effectively."
|
| Sullivan started his IT entrepreneurship back in 1995 when he decided to
| launch a career as an Internet services provider. Much of the work he did was
| built on open source operating systems BSD and Red Hat Linux. "We knew how to
| build very scalable infrastructures," he says.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/124170

Related:

Defence ramps up Linux cluster development

,----[ Quote ]
| The Department of Defence is developing additional software components for an
| existing multi-channel, multi-processor Linux cluster used as an RF test
| system.
|
| Linux and open source software is used widely within Defence, but it has been
| less than forthcoming in publicizing it.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1711369977;fp;2;fpid;1

Tristan Nitot, founder and president of Mozilla Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Many large companies use increasingly more and more Open Source software,
| but they tend not to communicate on this.
`----

http://www.laflecha.net/entrevistas/en/tristan-nitot-presidente-de-mozilla-europa

Open Source: Ready for Its Closeup

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

Over 100 Additional Post-production Facilities Adopt Autodesk's Visual
Effects and Editing/Finishing Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| In April 2006, Autodesk transitioned its visual effects and
| editing/finishing systems from SGI-based workstations to workstations
| running the Linux operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| "The migration of Autodesk systems to the Linux platform has been a
| great success," said Stig Gruman, Autodesk's Media & Entertainment
| vice president of systems. "This operating system allows Autodesk to
| take advantage of rapid, continuous improvements to commodity
| hardware components such as central processing units, graphics
| cards, and Infiniband networking technology."
`----

http://www.kpth.com/home/6888347.html

LiMux The Penguin: Deep into Munich?s Linux F/OSS migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Munich's Linux migration has been a publicity frenzy, a
| software patent poster child, and the subject of a debate
| on the role of government in technology mandates. Now it's
| a real-life IT project, and the key to success is training,
| management, and replacing 170 non-Linux applications.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, after enormous criticism and a nearly complete halt,
| it's becoming a successful migration if for very important
| reasons: it's going well, quietly, and on plan.
`----                       ^^^^^^^

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110606-munich-linux.html

In Search of a Win2k Replacement

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows 2000 support is targeted to expire in 2010, but I plan
| to have adopted Linux before then.  I will be starting a new round
| of Linux distribution testing at the beginning of 2007.  It's been
| a little over 7 months since I've tested a distro, so I'm excited
| to see the progress that has been made.
`----

http://www.newluna.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=28

Dell's "secret Linux fling" not so secret

,----[ Quote ]
| To show how 'not so secret' this all is, please let me quote an
| interesting line from the Asianux site;
|
|     "As the base software of IT system, Asianux has gotten full
| support from many global partners including Adaptec, AMD, BEA, CA,
| Dell, EMC, Emulex, HP, Hitachi, IBM, Intel, NEC, Oracle, Samsung
| Electronics, SAP, Stratus Technologies and Symantec just to name a few."
|
| Very secret, huh? I wish it was easier to find out how Linux is
| doing in the east, but from experience I can say it's rather
| hard to find out, since sooner or later, you arrive at
| Chinese-only pages. However, we should still look at the pages
| that _are_ in English, since they present interesting information.
| It seems OEM's in the east are supporting Linux, in contrary to
| what they do in the Western world.

So who is using Linux on the desktop?

,----[ Quote ]
| More traditional desktop users include:
|
| Whitfield School in west St. Louis, Missouri.
| The State of Utah
| Rome City School District
| Camera and photography equipment retailer Ritz Camera
| IT professional services company Novacoast
| German engines and engine components manufacturer MTU Aero Engines
| UK commercial broadcaster ITV
| Indiana Department of Education
| Independent record store Free Record Shop
| The China Meteorological Administration
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/so_who_is_using.html
http://tinyurl.com/36azjo

World Domination -- Finding Linux Everywhere

,----[ Quote ]