[News] Embedded Developers Are Moving to Open Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] Embedded Developers Are Moving to Open Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:49:46 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open season on OSes

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the "2007 Embedded Market Study," Embedded Systems Design
| magazine's survey of embedded designers, the use of commercial operating
| systems is trending downward, while the use of open-source OSes is on the
| rise. On one hand, this comes as no surprise. On the other, it's alarming.
| Let me explain.
|
| [...]
|
| In attempt to cover all bets, some of the commercial OS vendors, including
| Wind River, have a Linux offering. But the jury is still out on whether
| that's a working strategy.
|
| In my opinion, the vendors with the more well-known versions of Linux, à la
| MontaVista, will be most successful.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205602076

Days ago:

Four billion embedded systems shipped in '06

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux loyalty runs high among embedded software developers, says VDC

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking ahead, 87% percent of Linux users plan to use Linux in their next
| project. In both cases, use of free distributions outnumbered use of paid
| distributions by a sizable margin.
`----

http://software.tekrati.com/research/9436/

Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
| percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
| Development Corp. (VDC).

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]